08/07 vs older models

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08/07 vs older models

Hi, i am a beginner rider and currently thinking of purchasing a cbr 600RR.

I wanted to buy a used one but heard that 07 and 08s are a lot safer/easier to ride than the older models.

Does anyone know anything about this that can provide more detail?

Thank you.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Default RE: 08/07 vs older models

CBR's are know for being forgiving. The main difference's between the new and older models are in weight and performance, with the new one's being lighter and having a more powerfull engine.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the they are easier to learn on compared with other bikes (like the R6 and Kawasaki), but they are by no means "easy" to ride for a new rider.........just "easier" than some other bikes.

600RR's, no matter the year, are extremely powerful and twitchy, and can kill you just as fast as any literbike......so don't underestimate them for a second. So that brings us to the question, can a 600RR be a first bike? Sure. I myself pretty much started out on an 06 600RR and grew as a rider from there, but I was also extremely submissive to it's power and capabilities of killing me if I did anything brave or "stupid" on it.........one wrong move and it'll **** off the bike.

But that brings us to another question, is the 600RR a "good" choice as a first bike.......not really. There are better choices to be had for first bikes. But that doesn't mean it's impossible......it really all depends on the rider and the head on his/her shoulders.

And with that being said, the answer to your main question......

No, the 07/08 600RR's are not "easier" to ride. They handle better and have more power. The main difference between the 03-06 and 07/08 is the difference you feel in weight. The 03-06 models feel heavier and larger than it's more petite, lighter on it's feet 07/08 models. But that in no way comprehends to being "easier" to ride.

If you are bent on getting a 600RR as a first bike, I would recommend taking an MSF course (and a proper one at that). Not some B.S. course you have to take just to get your license, but a full on class that actually TRAINS you to ride a bike, not just see what you know.

I took the Rider's Edge course offered by Harley Davidson and MAN is that a great class. They teach you all the basics from the ground up so there is no guess work and no bad habits to be learned. THAT is where I would start first, regardless of your past experiences with motorcycles or how much you think you know about them. I retook the course after 2 years of riding, and I was amazed of how many bad habits I taught myself over that time. I was doing things wrong that could have potentially caused me to wreck. So training is a must before taking on a sportbike.

Other than my hugemongous post, I'm pretty sure I covered everything.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 PM

Ok I must step in now...

The 07/08 rr is WAY lighter than the 03/04. The 07/08 is lighter than the 05/06 but the 03/04 weigh more than both models. I have an 06 and yes, immediately upon sitting on the 07/08 you'll notice its lighter. On paper its a 15lb drop in weight between the bikes (05/06 v. 07/08).

Performance wise, the 03-08 are pretty comparable and similar. All run the 1/4 in mid-10 seconds. About the power, honestly its not much of a difference between the bikes. Im not defending what I have. In fact, I think my friends new gixxer 600 is more powerful than my bike but not by much. My other buddy who has an 07rr rides my bike and I ride his and he said power wise its the same thing but his feels lighter which I def. agree. I kinda like the firm feeling of my 06 though.

The 600rr isnt the best choice for a beginner bike. Heres my story:

I learned on my buddies 250ninja while he was on vacation. I had it for 2 weeks only and then picked up the 600rr, thinking I was ready. I bought my bike too early though because I was scared ****less of riding it. You shouldnt fear riding your bike; that means you're not ready for it. I would see it in the driveway just staring at me and I would be too scared to ride it. When I finally did ride it I didnt go over 20mph for a few days because I was scared due to the sensitive throttle. So to get the point, I wasnt ready for the bike. It took months of riding it around the block to get used to it and comfortable with it.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 PM

^yeh, being scared of you bike is not a good thing. but being bored as hell with a bike isn't any fun either. my '03 rr was the first bike i owned. you won't be disapointed with the '03, its plenty of bike and handles amazing.

as far as safety, its not very safe, any sport bike is not safe, they are not good for learning, but its not out of the question. take the MSF. it will teach you alot, and it also might let you know if you could handle a 250, and by that i mean that in the sense that, would it drive you insane to go slower then a minivan? for me, it would.

oh and one more thing.

go with an older CBR (not OLD as in 89, but older then 07/08), it will hurt your wallet less and you won't feel as bad when you drop it, which you will.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 AM

Def buy used. Dont buy a 250. You'll be tired of that bike in a few short months. Take MSF courses.

If your so scared you cant get out of first gear you shouldn't be riding in the first place.

All bikes are dangerous, riding is not for eveyone. I believeall Begginers MSF courses provide the bikes. Take that course before buying your own bike. If you can hack it go for it.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: tomp

Def buy used. Dont buy a 250. You'll be tired of that bike in a few short months.
Not necessarily. I didn't really want to get a 250 to start with as I'm a typical male and like acceleration, but found a good deal and ended up getting one anyway. 2.5 years later I still have it, and although I'm starting to look for a new bike, I don't want to get rid of it. No, it's not slower than a minivan, but it's not a drag bike either. But man, will it tear up a mountain road! And, if you do something dumb and rash it up, you haven't lost months or years of savings. Besides, you can easily get your money back selling it a couple of months later.

Nothing against getting a bigger bike if that's what you want, but don't think you're going to just hate a 250. Find a mountain road, and it'll make you grin!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM

i started out on a 600rr. the main thing to remember is dont get cocky on it. as long as you have a good head on your shoulders and dont try to do anything stupid then you should be ok. I would strongly recommend taking the msf coarse. i did and im glad i did. it teaches you alot of stuff that you really dont think you need to know but is very important to riding.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 PM

600rr is not a starter bike. no 600 superbike is. too aggressive. too powerful, too dangerous for a new rider. i dont care if someone else has done it and turned out ok, its not a beginner bike

you will do what you want, but in my opinion, and in many other memeber's opinions, a rr is NOT a beginner bike, not a good choice to start riding on, and a very unforgiving bike.

now, i mean this with the best intentions tho. i would just suggest getting a less aggressive bike, like an f4i or an older model cbr. cheaper to fix when you DO drop it, enough power to make even the most experienced person smile, and looks good. i would def take an f4i....

Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 PM

my first bike is my 07' 600rr and i learned to ride it right when i got it unloaded off the truck. the other thing was i was learning to ride in rush hour, man was i scared, but after acouple of hour i got used to it. Wasn't the smartest thing to do and im not telling anyone else to go and do that either.
i couldn't tell you about any other bike, but whatever you plan on getting make sure its the right one FOR YOU!....

Quick Reply: 08/07 vs older models