06 cbr 600rr wont start after wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 cbr 600rr wont start after wash

Okay so here is the deal, I washer my bike with the water hose and now it wont start. I rode it from my garage to washing spot in the drive way. They washed it with soap and water/hose. I had done this on my cbr f2 many of times and no problems. So i figured this one would be okay.

Details: 06 cbr 600 rr, jardine exhaust, powercommander, shift kit.

Done washing it now and I go to start it and it will crank and crank but wont start. I then let it dry for a little while and same results. Then i decided to blow it off with the air compresser and same. I had things to do and had to put it away. The next day after work i came out and tried and it started and ran like crap for 15 or so seconds and wont start again after that.

Things ive tried.

blew off with air hose,
check all fuses and connections,
checked air filter and housing (DRY),
tried WOT (would get it to hesitate/bog sometimes),

Any ideas?
Is it possible by spraying it the plugs got wet?
Also i hear a clicking i believe thats around the battery when i hit the start button and when i let off of it. Is this normal as i have never had a problem starting it before.

Im going to let it sit outside and dry in the sun tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks in advance guys. P.S. i wont wash it with the hose anymore..

Last edited by honda_Sol; 08-14-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 PM

I wouldn't think washing it would do anything, if the ecm got wet might have fried it, i think its located under the seat. But a few friends have 05-06 and they wash them same way with no problems.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM

From my own research I have hear of it happening. The only thing i did in between riding it out of the garage and starting it again was washing it so I figured that was it.

Attached is a picture of her for fun.

Attached Thumbnails 06 cbr 600rr wont start after wash-cbr-600rr.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM

You would have to try eliminating the problem with testing for fuel, spark etc. I would lean towards the ecm, just not sure why it would have fried from washing it. Have you checked all the fuses??

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Good luck figuring it out. I'm always paranoid about washing my bike. I'm afraid i'll get something wet that shouldn't get wet. lol. hope you fix it soon.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered Users

I own the same bike model and ive washed it many times with no problem so I doubt that would be it. I agree with cobra1000rr, test for fuel, spark etc. could be something as simple as a fuse.

Good luck

Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Well it finally "dried out" and runs fantastic. And i already checked the fuses as stated above in my first post.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by honda_Sol
Details: 06 cbr 600 rr, jardine exhaust, powercommander, shift kit.

Done washing it now and I go to start it and it will crank and crank but wont start. I then let it dry for a little while and same results. Then i decided to blow it off with the air compresser and same. I had things to do and had to put it away. The next day after work i came out and tried and it started and ran like crap for 15 or so seconds and wont start again after that.

Things ive tried.

blew off with air hose,
check all fuses and connections,
checked air filter and housing (DRY),
tried WOT (would get it to hesitate/bog sometimes),

Any ideas?
Is it possible by spraying it the plugs got wet?
Also i hear a clicking i believe thats around the battery when i hit the start button and when i let off of it. Is this normal as i have never had a problem starting it before.

Im going to let it sit outside and dry in the sun tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks in advance guys. P.S. i wont wash it with the hose anymore..
One thing you didn't mention is if the fuel pump was priming. If it wasn't, I would suspect the kill switch. They are notorious on these models for getting bad or dirty connections and failing. The water from the wash might have moved some dirt in there.

The second issue sounds like you killed the battery trying to get it started. Charge the battery and see if it's still good.

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
I wouldn't think washing it would do anything, if the ecm got wet might have fried it, i think its located under the seat. But a few friends have 05-06 and they wash them same way with no problems.
The ECM on all 600RRs are under the fuel tank cover. Almost impossible to get wet with a hose.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by honda_Sol
Well it finally "dried out" and runs fantastic. And i already checked the fuses as stated above in my first post.
My bad :-) Glad u got it workin

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Default In need of help please!! 06 cbr 600

Getting ready to sell my 06 cbr 600 i took it out and washed it! Bike started fine before washing it. Now it wont crank/start. ***do not*** hear the inectors cycle through either. When i turn the key to on position the rpm tach goes from 0 to redline and back. Speedo cycles from 0 to max and back! I checked all the fuses on the left side fusebox theyre all fine. Also on/off switch is on any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Quick Reply: 06 cbr 600rr wont start after wash