05 600RR died on the freeway, help.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 600RR died on the freeway, help.......

Cruising at 40mph all of sudden bike dies, all lights remained on, the F1 light came on. Pulled over, got the bike at my place, recharged the battery, shook the bike around thinking it might of been water in the gas tank or bad gas, started it up, idled really rough as I was gassing it and then died. Tried it a few times and just died after a few seconds.

Maybe could of been from when I washed the bike, got water in the intake system or over by the spark plugs?

Bad gas, not too sure, I always fill up at Cheveron or Shell always using 92 octane.

Water in the tank, could it really get in there?

Electrical? maybe, not too sure though all the lights come on, power everything. I swtiched the stock lights with xenon 6000k bulbs 55w, rode in the rain a few times and smelt as if it were burning, asked around people said it was ok since the temperature was high in the rain.

its a fairly new bike with only 5000 miles.

Anyone out there have an idea, please help...

thank you very much for reading?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Default RE: 05 600RR died on the freeway, help.......

bad fuel pump? just a guess how it restarted and died? low miles for one but who knows

Old 04-17-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm guessing it's something electrical probably fromwashing it as you said. Did waterget inside the fairingsoraround the engine area at all? I've had a coil go bad on a carI own because water got to it while washing it.Just something to check I guess....
Also, I am not 100% sure since I don't own a 600RR but doesn't the manual recommend 86octane gas? I could've sworn I heard that somewhere. The 92 octane could actuallymake yourbike run worse if the manual calls for 86.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM

wash your bike cold, im pretty sure your supposed to... also i dont think 86-92 octane is gonna matter much... maybe a jump to 100 would fry the piston but thats about all...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ethosXX
Also, I am not 100% sure since I don't own a 600RR but doesn't the manual recommend 86octane gas? I could've sworn I heard that somewhere. The 92 octane could actuallymake yourbike run worse if the manual calls for 86.
mine calls for 92 and i have an 05, so i dont think thats it

Old 04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Rev

Hey how's your bike doing? A day later have you tried to start her up again?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: 05 600RR - no gas

embarassing as it may seem guys, there was no gas. there was a glitch or something with my gas gauge, it read two bars=at least 70miles, so i ddint even bother to check the gas tank until i had already towed the bike to my house and checked two days later. i drained the battery that night trying to start it, so i charged the battery, the next day i started the bike but it died. so a friend came by and checked the gas tank and laughed. embarassing... dont trust computers and gauges... check ur self... thanks for all the inputs and replies. ride safe guys.

ps. my friend with 06 600rr had the same problem more than once...

Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM

Higher octane will never hurt an engine. The octane rating has to do with the compression ratio of the engine. Althought on a CBR600 which runs compression ratio of 12+:1 I would think it would require 92. If you put in a lower octane fuel then your engine requires you could blow the motor from the fuel igniting by itself during the middle of the compression stroke. I learned the hard way (from walking home a couple times) to always check the gas tank first.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 PM

actually higher octance can hurt an engine. And not only does it relate to compression ratios, but timing as well. You can bump up the timing on something and run 92 for an improvement ( sometimes ) , but like the 2002 blazer I have, if I have the stock computer tune and I run 92, it runs like crap compared to running 87, and anything higher than 92 would be the end of the motor. But as far as bikes go, 99.9% of the time they require 92 anyway.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Rev

ORIGINAL: brazilianatuh

embarassing as it may seem guys, there was no gas. there was a glitch or something with my gas gauge, it read two bars=at least 70miles, so i ddint even bother to check the gas tank until i had already towed the bike to my house and checked two days later. i drained the battery that night trying to start it, so i charged the battery, the next day i started the bike but it died. so a friend came by and checked the gas tank and laughed. embarassing... dont trust computers and gauges... check ur self... thanks for all the inputs and replies. ride safe guys.

ps. my friend with 06 600rr had the same problem more than once...
You know I was actually gonna post "did you check the gas tank". Then I would have felt bad and thought that you wouldn't be that dumb....HAHAHAHAH..jk man..glad you found out what it was...Safe Riding!!!

Quick Reply: 05 600RR died on the freeway, help.......