04 600rr

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 600rr

Just recently bought a 2004 600rr. this may be a stupid question to people familiar with the bike, but can anyone tell me the process of changing the air filter. I bought a k&N but, don't really know how to go about changing it. The owners manual doesn't really have anything on this..

Old 04-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Default RE: 04 600rr

Well, if it's anything like my F4i, you'll have to remove the front bolts that hold the gas tank on and loosen the rear ones then prop up the tank.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:57 AM

That tank cover has six bolts two in tha front,two in tha rear and Two on tha sides.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:02 PM

I had another look at my bike, it must be different than the f4. There are two bolts in the front and two in the rear, also three bolts around the gas cap to hold on the tank cover. I took all these out but the cover still will not come off. It looks like it is going to be a big pain in the a$$ to change something as simple as an air cleaner. I'm not even sure if the filter is going to be accessible if I get the cover off.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 PM

you don't need to do anything to the gas cap or the tank to get at the filter. You unbolt the two bolts up top by the triple, and the two under the seat. You next need to pop off the black plastic covers on the side of the seat (where your thighs go when riding), there are 2 bolts for the gas tank cover under there, one on each side. Next pull straight up on the tank to release it from the rubber grommet that seals around the gas cap.

After all that you can clearly see the airbox below the ECU. unbolt the ECU, unclip the two wiring harness's going to the back of it and set it a side. There are god knows how many screws around the airbox (8-10?). Undo them all (there are two tucked away between the airbox and the gas tank that are kind of hard to see so make sure to get those) then just pop the sucker off...

BTW. don't expect much from that K&N... I hear aftermarket filters aren't much better than the stocker.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:46 PM

Ok.. that makes sense. When I pull up on the tank it only removes the cover, correct? Also, do the little pieces of fairing on top, that attach to the tank cover stay on the bike or do they need to come off as well?

Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM

Ok...I give up....I took the bolts off at the front of the tank, the two at the back. Removed the side covers, but there aren't two bolts holding the cover on the sides. The only way I can get the tank cover to come lose is if I take out the three bolts holding the gas cover. Even when I do all this the faring will not release at the front of the tank cover. Is the o4 600 rr different from other years??

I hate to take this in, and pay shop rates to change the air filter. Doe's anybody know of any pics on line that may help with my dilemma??

Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 PM

SORRY MAN! I forgot, the two bolts are under the ram air covers!!! lol. you can get them off without taking off the front fairing though, un bolt the bolts up top that run along the top of the mid fairing, then feel up the front of the ram air cover, there is a little tab, pull the ram air cover back and up so this tab comes back away from the upper fairing and then pull it up past the post that surrounds it.

After that pull the ram air cover down and towards the front of the bike to release it from the tank cover... repeat for the other side and there are your bolts!! SORRY ABOUT THE MIX UP! go get the CBR 600RR service manual, you can find it online but I'm not allowed to tell you the link... i don't think....

Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 PM

i think you can give him the link if you have it because there's a link on here floating around somewhere...

Old 04-05-2006, 12:07 AM

I knew it had six bolts,I had to take all the plastics off of my buddies 04 RR the other day and replace with all new ones.Somebody tried to steal it and didn't do anything but bust every part of blue plastic on it.

Quick Reply: 04 600rr