03 vs 05-06

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 vs 05-06

Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a CBR600rr and was about to buy an 06 with 21k miles for 4500, then an 03 was posted for 3400 and it only has 12k miles.

Is the inverted forks and weight savings worth 1100 dollars? Is there any other difference between the two that is worth 1100 dollars?
Which bike would you go with?

There is also an 07 for 5600 right now. 07 even another 1100 better?
I only have about 4600 to work with so the 07 may be out of reach.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Rain
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a CBR600rr and was about to buy an 06 with 21k miles for 4500, then an 03 was posted for 3400 and it only has 12k miles.

Is the inverted forks and weight savings worth 1100 dollars? Is there any other difference between the two that is worth 1100 dollars?
Which bike would you go with?

There is also an 07 for 5600 right now. 07 even another 1100 better?
I only have about 4600 to work with so the 07 may be out of reach.

Thanks for the help.
It is hard to give you a definite answer because we need more information. Have either of the bikes been down? Are there scratches or cracked fairing? What mods do they have? If they have electrical mods like flush mounts or an IT ask how they were installed. If they were put together using electrical tape probably not the best job but if they were soldered together then maybe the installer knew what they were doing. How much tire life is left for each bike. How about chain and sprockets? Was the 16K miles service done on the 06? See what I mean by its hard for us to give you an answer. Assuming that both are equal meaning both are perfect condition and all stock then it would be hard to pass up on the 03. I sold my 01 F4i with 17K miles for more than $3400. The 03 and 04 RR models are the worst looking IMO with the black air inlets but $1100 in my pocket can over come that. I have never ridden a 03-06RR so I can't tell you if the 07 is that much better but personal the 07 is so much better looking then the previous models and is an amazing bike. However I wouldn't want to dump everything I have into a bike and leave no money for gear, any mods that you want to do, gas or just other things in life.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM

The 07 is more worth it then all of them. My little brother has an 04, and I can tell a difference in weight, handling and comfort for sure. +1 to Senor Dub on the details though. Try to manage your money appropriately as he mentioned as well. If you're going to spend everything you have on a bike, I would go with the middle man (06). I like all of them, but at the end of the day, I'm keeping my 07. The 06 will leave you with some dough in your pocket, and has a little of the other bikes in it. A little more comfy than the 03, but handles better. Details?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM

depends what your looking to do with it..... I would def go with the 07 for street use and a occasionaltrack day. now if you want a track **** get the cheapest one

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM

I am buying these bikes off of craigslist so as to how the bike were taken care of, its anyone's guess. I can ask the guy but he can simply lie.
But anyways here is the 4 bikes i'm looking at. Like i said before the most i will be able to spend is probably gonna be about 5000 depending on how much i can sell my bike for.
!!! 2006 HONDA CBR 600 RR !!! 06 for 4500 21k miles
2008 Honda CBR600rr 08 for 5500
03 Honda cbr 600rr 03 for 3400
2007 Honda CBR 600rr 07 for 5600

As for what i'm using this bike for, 70% is for commuting about 10 miles and then 29% is riding around KC searching for a twisty with my friends. 1% is a possible track day. This isn't my first bike so i've already got full gear. And as for looks, I love the looks of all the cbr600rr equally so looks don't bother me at all between the years.

And one more question, is buying a used bike from a dealer worth the extra penny?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I am buying these bikes off of craigslist so as to how the bike were taken care of, its anyone's guess. I can ask the guy but he can simply lie.
This is very true which is why you go look at the bike and inspect it with a fine tooth comb. Take off the passenger seat and look to see how the IT was hooked up. If it looks hacked run away.

Like i said before the most i will be able to spend is probably gonna be about 5000 depending on how much i can sell my bike for.
Based on this comment it sounds to me like you have to sell your bike first in order to be able to afford your next bike. If that is the case I wouldn't even be looking now because you don't know how much you will get for your bike and you don't know when you will be able to sell it so these bikes could be gone and a whole other round of contenders could emerge.

Out of sheer boredom I will entertain the idea of these bikes here. I would definitely eliminate the first bike. It doesn't have a clean title in hand so you would have to meet the guy at the bank/title company and deal with that whole mess. It also looks like he has put some (IMO stupid) lights on to it and you don't know how hacked up the wiring is. The second bike I can almost guarantee has been down because the graphics are gone and the mids are painted orange and not silver like OEM. The third one the guy seems like a d!ck. I mean who says don't text me asking for pictures. Well if you post some I won't. If it was me I would choose either #2 or #4 but then again the only way to know is to go look at both see if they are clean and talk #'s but then talking #'s doesn't help unless you know exactly how much you have to spend.

And no buying from a dealership is not worth the extra money. It's not like they go through these bikes to make sure they are perfect. I bought my F4i from a dealer and 30 days later it died on me so I called them up saying they should fix it for free and they told me sold as is so they will fix it for $70/hour. I would by off craigslist and save yourself the money.

Last edited by R Dub; 05-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM

As for selling my bike, i've got a guy willing to pay 4100 for my bike on saturday. i've got a suzuki sv650s if you're curious
Thanks for the help, great advice.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 PM

dam 4100? wow!id sell that quick!i dont see them going forthat much what you have done and what year?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Its a 2007 with 17k miles (I'm very particular about maintenance on my bikes, oil change ever 3 months lubing/cleaning chain all the time) . Ive put on two brothers racing exhaust, lower fairings, HID Bi-Xenon Headlights and just put on new chain and sprockets with +3 in the rear. Oh and the previous owner put on blue LED lights through out the bike that i think have been turned on once since i bought the bike hah. Its a great bike, but I just love the sound of a 600 and the looks of the cbr, there is nothing better. And having a lil extra power doesn't hurt.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Sounds like a good start. Are you gonna have money left over after you sell your bike? The blue one looks most legit. It's also probably the best deal out of all of those.