CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Yet another Carb ??? Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gotcbr, I can fully understand the worry that I might not be describing the issue correctly. In all likelyhood that could very well be the case as by trade Im an uber computer geek and know next to nothing about mechanics. Tho I figured it was about time to learn since there are no good motorcycle repair places near me, just Tracy Motorsports which I refuse to ever take any bike there ever again.

As for the bike, I fully admit it was mostly my fault, thought a cop would have more honor than that. Plus I have always had problems with carbureted bikes, I much prefer fuel injected bikes, but hey it's a damn good project bike to learn mechanics on so at least there is that.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_DA
...good project bike to learn mechanics on so at least there is that.
It is at that! ;-) It will be well worth it once you have it up & runnin' properly.

Keep posting up your progress/etc. We want to know how you're getting along w/ it.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Hey I'm over in Hayward and I know fremont is a bit far for you but fastline cycles is an awesome shop and the mech there really knows his stuff. He seems really abrasive at first but once he sees you want to know what is wrong instead of just is it fixed he opens up and really teaches you about your bike. He gladly Sat on the phone with me and walked me through a fork seal change. I highly recommend him. And the labor rates are the best in the bay that I have seen.

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-02-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: fixed it for you CJ :-)
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM

I have a 99 f4 with the same kind of probs you are describing.

I've been chasing a vacuum leak. Bought new boots (insulators). didn't solve it. Had carbs off and cleaned, checked everything...all good. SO got to thinking about electrical. Did the check on the Throttle Position Sensor and found it was dead. Next checked voltage to the TPS from the ECM ... no volotage. So might need to replace the ECM or ICU or computer box...whatever the mystery box is called.

Is there a Classifieds on this forum?

Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bucky55
I have a 99 f4 with the same kind of probs you are describing.

I've been chasing a vacuum leak. Bought new boots (insulators). didn't solve it. Had carbs off and cleaned, checked everything...all good. SO got to thinking about electrical. Did the check on the Throttle Position Sensor and found it was dead. Next checked voltage to the TPS from the ECM ... no volotage. So might need to replace the ECM or ICU or computer box...whatever the mystery box is called.
Be sure to follow troubleshooting procedures in the factory service manual.

Originally Posted by Bucky55
...Is there a Classifieds on this forum?
Yes. Look to the bottom of the main forum page.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered Users

Progress update:
New spark plugs came in, changed them
New carbs came in, swapped old ones out.

Current status:
Bike won't even start anymore.

So the more I work on this bike, the worse it gets...

To test why it wasn't even starting, put old carbs back on, still wouldn't start, then put old spark plugs back in, still wouldn't start(At this point the bike was back to same condition it used to at least start in.)

Took plugs out one at a time, put them in the coil and tested them against engine casing for spark, worked fine. Did that on all old and new plugs and got spark.

Swapped everything old for new yet again just to make sure, still won't start. At this point I killed the battery so trickle charged it overnight.

The next day put the battery back in and tried to start the bike and my mysterious electronics issue happened that pops up occasionally where the bike's electronics just cut out. No lights, signals or ignition. Swore up and down at the bike and gave up for the day and got drunk instead.

CJardine: Thanks for the info, at the moment, Im still looking for someone knowledgeable about bikes in my area to come over and help me out, as I have already dumped WAY to much money into the bike. But if I can't find anyone somewhat soon, I'll check your mechanic out, especially if he will let me hang around and give me some pointers about fixing bikes.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Sorry for your continued issues. As most here know, I'm all for working on your own bike where applicable but in this case, I believe it would be in your best interest to take it to a certified Honda mechanic.

I would rather see you enjoy the bike after it being professionally repaired than to see you linger on w/ experimentation on what may or may not be wrong w/ the bike. Cut your losses & have it repaired. Then get out there & enjoy it the way you originally intended.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered Users

Meh...I only want to use the 600 as my commute bike as I don't like putting 300 miles a week on my 954 just going back and forth to work, so I have the time to spare to tinker with and it(and apparently make it worse) but as I mentioned earlier, if I can't find someone to help me out in my area in the next couple of weeks or so, will take it to a mechanic then and hopefully won't cost me 2000 bucks like Tracy Motorsports wanted to charge.
Anyways will give it another go tonight, usually the electronics come back when I let it sit overnight heh.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Registered Users

DJ_DA, Did you ever get that F4 running? I have gone through just about as many things as you have and am about to buy some carbs off ebay to see if my problems are fixed too. Here's my link:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...-right-143781/

I have not split my carbs yet and not looking forward to doing so. I have tested what seems to be everything and I cannot get my bike to rev without cutting out and I cannot hold any constant throttle. All the electrical stuff seems to check out fine.

If the new carbs did not fix the problem, have you checked everything in the ignition circuit like TPS, computer, pulse generator, switches, etc?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM

I am sorry I was a bit late and you really shouldn't worry so much on how many turns on jets they need to just be seeded to firm NO FURTHER then you pilot screw for me riding between 800-1200ft above sea level seed it fully and then back out 2 1/2 turns for each carb but if you are in Cali I would do 3 full turns out from seeded. As far as your PAIR system (I did this mod less than 2 months ago) once you get rid of your evap canister and the pair solenoid do exactly as it shows in this thread for hooking up all of your vacuum lines. https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...-143131/page2/ I can say with almost 100% certainty that there wasn't anything wrong with your carbs (only going off the symptoms you gave) as that is the exactly what happened to me when I did the Cali emissions mod but if you do this get your bike back together and you might be able to send those 'new' carbs back if you like. Let me know what happens, if I am unavailable pm CJardine or BOYO as we have all done these mods to that same bike. Good luck happy wrenching.

Quick Reply: Yet another Carb ??? Issue