CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Diagram

Good eve guys, hoping someone either has a wiring diagram or has dealt with this.
Just got a Competition Werkes Light Werkes Integrated LED Tail Light and it only has 5 wires as where the old wiring was something like 12-14 wires. here are some pics of the light.

Here are some pics of the wiring harness (or whats left of it anyway).
This first one as I know it are the wires that are supposed to go to the lights for the license plate:

this one is the 4 wires for the turn signals I am 95% certain:

This one was my park brake light:

This last one was my actual brake light:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I have scoured the internet trying to find a wiring diagram or something but it seems there is none, I am wondering if I made a mistake buying from this company.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

I could take a picture of the wiring diagram for the tail if you are still looking for it? I have the manual and could post up the pic, Just not sure if you have figured it out already or not. Let me know

Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM

That would be great if you don't mind.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM

Sorry My wife responded to this thread in my stead. I have my repair manual and have done what it wants but it still doesn't work. the wiring harness is botched all over this bike because of the previous owners all making their marks and now I am not sure what to do or to even try. There are too few people around now days who know anything about our bikes and when you find someone they don't know enough to help. I am not going to waste any money on a new harness because financially willing next year I will be tracking this bike permanently. if you have a picture or anyone has a picture of this kind of setup on their bike that would be most useful, thanks.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM

have you tried using clip on leads and a battery to confirm that the taillight does work properly? It would look as though black should be ground. the Red and Yellow would be tail and brake light( I am guessing yellow is tail and red is brake light but easy to check with leads) the blue and yellow should be for the turn signal which you can test to see which side controls what. As for the wiring on the bike. If you think that is the issue do you own a test light? I can tell you how and which wires to test to make sure the wiring is correct on your bike. I would be happy to help you get this working and I am positive we can figure it out if you have a these basic electrical tools. (Automotive electronics is my specialty)

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM

I tested it with a lead and the new tail light does work. The issue I have now is should I run a dedicated ground (make and run one that is not in the wiring harness) for the actual ground for the light or should I just use the provided ground out of the harness? I used the wiring diagram out of the repair manual to get me to where I am and I wired each of the required wires to the provided grounds out of the harness and I am not sure I should have done than. I am mechanically minded not electrically and it sucks because I should just be able to take care of this no issue.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 AM

The ground that is in the harness should be just fine, Do you have a multimeter? I will grab my book out when i get home from work this afternoon and give you hand with making sure that the ground in the harness and other wires are functioning correctly. I happen to have this exact bike torn apart in my garage right now so i can do it along side you to confirm.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM

were you able to figure out with a lead on the new tail light which wire was brake and which one was tail between the red and yellow wire? Just ground the black and supply power to red and then yellow and see which one is brighter.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 PM

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDAQ9QEwAA

I think the light you bought uses the leads from the running light to power the license plate light at the bottom of the fixture.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM

ok, sorry I didnt end up having time yesterday to sit down with the book and type it out for you but here goes:
You are obviously only going to need 5 of the wires on your bike harness to make this work The rest of the wires are because the factory setup had individual pieces for each light( ex left and right signal stalks and 2 seperate bulbs in the rear taillight each individually wired and then plate light)

wiring on the bike:

Solid green =(-) Ground(you probably have 5 green wires, pick one and ignore the other 4, they all serve the same purpose)

Green w Yellow tracer =(+) Brake lights ( You will probably have 2 of these, again pick one ignore the other one)

Black =(+) Tail light(also Running light and license plate light, you will have 3 of these again pick one and ignore the other 2)

Light Blue =(+) Right Turn signal (you should only have one of these)

Orange =(+) Left Turn signal (you should only have one of these)

Don't let all of the wires that are there confuse you. If you want to set your mind at ease use a test light and hook the gator clamp to ground and test these colors( your blinkers might blink really fast using the test light depending on the type of test light you have. the bulb in the test light may not provide enough draw to slow the flasher relay down.

Now for the new light. As I said test the light with a set of leads on a battery and write down what you find out. Black on the new tail light is going to likely be ground yellow and blue will be your turn signals I am going to guess that yellow is the left signal and blue is the right but confirm that with your leads. as for the yellow and red that are in the yellow bulb socket I believe that yellow is tail or running lights and red is the brake light but again easy to confirm with a set of leads hooked to a battery. Just write down the color you test and what happens. Good luck and if something doesn't make sense here just let me know and I will clarify for you. As for the extra leftover wires in the harness make sure they are trimmed with no bare wires and taped so that they cant cause you any problems in the future.

Last edited by Diesel7926; 10-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Wiring Diagram