CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Winterizing your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing your bike?

Since this is my first season having a bike and its already starting to get cold up here in Calgary....I have started to think about how I should put my bike away when the snow starts flying in a month or so. Are there any must do's that I have to do to keep my bike fresh for next spring? Do I remove the battery? Do I have to change the oil? Anything else? Thanks guys.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Default RE: Winterizing your bike?

I was going to be asking the same question. Only I think I have an extra month or so on you with me being in Pittsburgh. The best I can give you is that most friends have told me to put the battery on a trickle charger over the winter. I've heard mixed reviews on whether it is a good idea to change the oil at the end of the season or the beginning of the next. Same with gas, some say to drain the tank and others say keep it full with a treated gasoline so that the tank doesn't rust and/or get water crystals inside. I'll be interested to hear what some of the more experienced guys around here say as most of my advice has come from moderately experienced riders.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 AM

Ok, so full tank of gas or empty? Thats a good question

Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM

I have never winterized a motorcycle but with my other toys this is what I do.

Run a fuel stabilizer through the last tank (Sta-bil or Seafoam).

I EMPTY the tank as best I can. The tanks are aluminum and won't rust. I then start fresh the next year with a full tank of Premium. If you are worried about condensation in the fuel change the fuel filter after you run it for the first time. I leave the tank empty - especially with the introduction of Ethanol in the fuel in many localities. Ethanol is Hydroscopic which means it absorbs water (condensation). The less of it you have in the tanks the better.

When I shut the engines down for the last time I "FOG" them until they just about die, and then shut the engines off.

I do not change the oil at this point. I let it sit through the winter then fire it up, run it for a few minutes, and then do a full oil and filter change having caught any condensation or particles in the OLD filter before putting in the NEW.

With a motocycle's small battery I would remove it and put it somewhere where you remember to throw a trickle charer on it every few weeks. Or do what I did with my jetski - just buy another battery every summer (those little batteries are shot-lived anyways).

I mentioned this on another thread, and it is probably unnecessary, but my bike I just bought had been stored for a while on the kickstand and you could see where the corrosion in the right two carbs was worse because of the fact the bike tilted to the left allowing less fuel to remain in the bowl, and more corrosion to build. If I was going to store it for a long winter I would consider putting it on a center stand.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 AM

I put in fuel stabiliser, and just start it up every week and let it run for about 10 mins. when it is time to get the bike back on the road I give it a fresh tank of gas and change the oil.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Couple of questions. For those that recomend emptying the gas tank, how do you get everything out, do you have to pull the tank and disconect it and let it drain? That would be alot of work.

What is fuel stabalizer and what does it do? Sorry I have not heard of it before. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 AM

Here's a link for one of the fuel stabilizer products out there.I use a battery tender even if my bike is only going to sit for a week. It works well and I've found that my battery lasts longer. On my last bike it stayed strong for 2 years until I sold it.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm

http://www.batterytender.com/

Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Great Links, one question about the stabilizer. Do You then store the bike with a full tank of gas with the product in it? I have never heard of this stuff before, I will be sure to pick some up.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I do. I give it a wash and dry. I make sure I have about a quarter tank and put in the fuel stabilizer. I make a run the gas station and fill her up. Since the station is close to my home I go for a short run and when I get about a quarter mile from home, I turn of the fuel valve. This allows the bike to run dry. I get it home and through her up on the bike stands. I strip of the fairing and when the engine is cool enough I change the oil and lube the chain. I put the bike at the back of the garage on the stands, hook up the battery tender and cover her up for until the winter is done.
Once the winter is done, I put some air in the tires and take her out for a spin to get ride of the old gas and fill her up with a fresh tank.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks cwmc29, thats what I will be doing now I think. Although...how are you taking her out for a spin and getting rid of the old gas when the tank was full? Must be a long spin. (Your tank is stored full with the stabilizer right?)

Quick Reply: Winterizing your bike?