CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing

Took my ride in to get the new rear tire finally (michelin road2), and while on the balancer, the shop noticed some play in the wheel bearing. It didn't seem that bad. He told me it should probably make its way to the top of my list of to-do's but nothing like I shouldn't be riding it until it's done. He says his shop can get a bearing kit for around $25, and will put it on for $50, which included taking the whole bike to him. Just the wheel for around $30-35.

There was a little play, but I haven't noticed anything detrimental while riding. How much of a priority should I make it? Being a mechanic, can I do these myself (only reason I didn't do the tire was because I don't have a MC tire balancer)? And, does his quote seem reasonable?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You are a mechanic, do it yourself!

If the wheel has no play or noise, he was probably trying to sell you something you don't need. If you think it needs them after you check it out, replace them.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take it as a heads up and check it out. If you corroborate his findings, I would deal with it soonest.

If you don't find the play he's talking about, put a black mark next to his name.
If you do find that he's giving you the straight skinny, then post a gold star instead.
It's nice finding a honest mechanic that is watching your back.

If it isn't a fishing trip, his prices quoted are actually reasonable and fair. By all means,
if you've got the chops, go for it. If you don't want to take the time, he's
not trying to screw you, though, by what I see.

Ern

Old 06-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Actually, he knows that I'm a mechanic, and work just down the road from him. I asked if I could hang out in the service area while has was doing the work, and saw the slight play in the wheel first hand. He seems pretty honest (although most crooks probably do), and seems to respect that I am a mechanic by trade, and also that I work for the Indiana State Police.

I downloaded the pdf service manual for my bike, I'll look through it when I get home, and see if it looks like something I can tackle here in my garage. My main concern is that I don't have stands or a "good" way to lift her. It was in my plans to get stands, but hopefully not until later this fall, and mainly for storage. Thanks for the advice guys! I'll definitely post about what is decided!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 PM

I did my bearings on my 900rr, I would just replace them, they are cheap enough why not. You don't need any special tools just a 3/8 drive extension about 6' or longer and a hammer, stick it through one side and tap the bearing out, be sure to tap it in a pattern so you don't pinch the bearing in the wheel. you may have to use a screwdriver to move the spacer over a bit to give a spot to tap against, if one side doesn't budge flip the rim over and try the other side, they will come out just take your time with it. the front rim is easy I did the front within 5-10 min, and the rear is a little harder but still not bad. and you can use a socket that's the size of the bearing and tap the new in, or use an actual bearing seater.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, cobra's got it down...just take your time. Although I'm guessing that 6' extension is probably only 6".
Probably just got off the phone with his gf, forgot to change mental gears, lol.

I've used a piece of all-thread and some big washers/nuts. nut/washer on one side,
tick it thru, add the washer/nut on the off-side, tighten down. It will pull them in
tight and square.

If you're working in a garage, consider a heavy ratcheting cargo strap anchored to the ceiling.
Very cheap, very secure.

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 06-08-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, those prices are reasonable. I do as much of my own work as possible. I suggest the same... However, if you don't have the spare time to do it yourself, let him do it for you.

Depending on what your definition of "some/little play" is, you'll prob be ok for awhile. As long as you're not doing aggressive twisties or high speed stop n go's, you're prob ok til you can get to it.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 PM

i just replaced the front bearings on my bike last weekend. i was unable to get the old bearings out for some reason. they were in there like no other. i actually ended up just taking the wheel to the local HARLEY dealer since they were the only place still open on saturday afternoon. they even spent about 45 mins trying to remove the bearings, but only charged me $10. then i came home and had the new ones in, and had the wheel back on in about 10 minutes. i was also told by a shop here in town to stick the new bearings in the freezer for about an hour before i install them, and they would go in so much easier. and they went in with a large socket and about 5 taps with the old rubber mallet.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've been convinced to give it a shot. The worst that can happen is I get the wheel off, and feel I can't handle it, then take it to the shop, where it will then be less than if I brought him the whole thing.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM

correct. the wheel is easy enough to remove, and as long as the old bearings come out fairly easily, the new ones are easy to put in. so if you cant get the old bearings out, just have a shop remove them for you. then you can use a socket that is the same size as the bearing, and a rubber mallot/hammer to lightly tap the new ones in. just make sure you tap them in evenly, and do not use a small socket to pound on the center of the bearings. if you dont have a big enough socket, just make sure you tap the bearings around the outer edge, as you can ruin the bearings right away if you pound on the center of them instead.