CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Upgrading R/R on 99 CBR F4

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading R/R on 99 CBR F4

Well guys, I toasted my last regulator and have been wanting to upgrade my regulator/rectifier for a while once I learned about the new style with the MOSFET chipset. I got mine in today and will be installing it tomorrow on the following day. I'll let you guys know the results. I got the FH012AA one.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Just so you know, the reason why I'm upgrading this is because I've been having problems with the charging system like everybody else. Going to try this out and see if it helps my problem.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 AM

good rectifier, ive been running it for a week now.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Did you do anything special on the wiring as far as upgrades go, or are you still using the stock wiring?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 AM

I added a 14gauge wire to ground, ie just crimped and soldered it on with the current ground wire, since the stock was kind of small.

My F2 also had a connector between the stator and rectifier, that had burned out. The stock wiring from the connector to the rectifier was smaller and had cheaper insulation than everything else so I also replace that wire.

fyi The best method of splicing wires is to solder and heat shrink them....

Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Yeah, I read that the wire from the stator to the rectifier was small - though about upgrading it as well as the power and ground. How much work was it to get the 3 yellow wires out of the harness?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:24 AM

havent removed them yet...

I just have not wanted to remove the battery box to make room to work...

you should be able to cut the tape off the harness, remove them and re wrap it in less time than it takes to put the fairings on.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Well, I got the regulator installed. Should also be painting all the fairings tomorrow I hope. Here are a couple pics as the bike is now. Btw - I'm getting about 14v at idle, which is way better than the 12.2 or less I got before.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the FH012AA supposed to be better than the revised Honda 31600-MV4-010 one?
I still have the original "SH633-12" one on mine.. and although it doesnt stall it does stumble at times under load at idle...

I am planning on buyin the revised Honda one in the next few weeks.. but what is the story with the FH012AA?

More info, please!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM

The FH012AA uses a MOSFET chipset which is WAY more efficient at converting power from A/C to DC than the stock honda ones back in the day. The old honda ones lose some of the power off in heat which in turn means they don't put out as good of voltage.

"Pasted from another forum - better description"
The SCR shunt type consumes more energy in the Regulator itself than the bike is using and dumps a ton of current into the heatsink (feel yours & just see how hot those things run!!!! - don't touch it - you'll burn yourself - seriously!) The problem is exacerbated because their efficiency goes even lower when they get HOT so it's a vicious circle. Heat is the number 1 killer of these devices.
Incidentally its a misconception that shunt type work harder with increased load i.e. higher-wattage lights, heated vests etc - actually, the higher the load on the output, the less work the shunt regulator does in dumping that excess energy and will actually run cooler!!

The FET has extremely low resistance in conducting state and this results in a lower dissipated power from the device while conducting load current, as opposed to the SCR which shunts the maximum current across a significant volt drop, resulting in a higher dissipated power - and resulting temperature, much more so than the FET device.

Noticed a BIG difference just by switching mine.

Link to other forum:

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Quick Reply: Upgrading R/R on 99 CBR F4