CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Tick on left side of bike! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick on left side of bike! Help!

Guys, I got back from driving my bike the other day and it had a nasty tick. Not very noticable at idle, but when I rev it you can hear it. Dies down a little once the idle levels off. Doesn't do it on deceleration. Seems to mainly do it under load. I was thinking valve tick or rod knock - but I don't think it's rod knock, cause it doesn't like its coming from up top in the head. Is there anything up in the head besides a valve that can cause a tick on these motors? The bike seems to idle fine - doesn't seem like it's lost power or has a stuttle like one of the cylinders as lost some compression from a bent valve or anything. I'll see if I can get a video of it with some good sound tonight.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM

CCT possibly?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM

I was thinking about that, but it's on the right side I thought and I'm not hearing noise on that side. Unless it being loose can cause noise on the left side.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Avi

Originally Posted by stampern
Guys, I got back from driving my bike the other day and it had a nasty tick. Not very noticable at idle, but when I rev it you can hear it. Dies down a little once the idle levels off. Doesn't do it on deceleration. Seems to mainly do it under load. I was thinking valve tick or rod knock - but I don't think it's rod knock, cause it doesn't like its coming from up top in the head. Is there anything up in the head besides a valve that can cause a tick on these motors? The bike seems to idle fine - doesn't seem like it's lost power or has a stuttle like one of the cylinders as lost some compression from a bent valve or anything. I'll see if I can get a video of it with some good sound tonight.
if it's only during movement I'd check the chain tension and after that gear.

check whether it happens during riding and standing still, and while standing in neutral and also with the clutch pulled (because in neutral parts of the gear are still spinning).

Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 AM

I know it does it when standing still, but only if the rpms change (usually going up). It does it in neutral, haven't tried with clutch in.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Avi

try taking off the left fairing, and then rev up till you here the tick.
have someone hold the throttle while you with a long rod or screw driver try moving things inside and holding them still against the frame.
I have a guess it's something like a loose screw or maybe the wire harness on the left side ticking against the airbox.

good luck

Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 AM

Well guys I had another mechanic look and listen to the bike. The bike doesn't idle weird or anything. Doesn't seem to have a lost of power. So we were thinking it's probably one of 2 things, either some carbon build up on the valve or an exhaust leak. So I decided to take the bike out and push her on the freeway a little to see if the issue got better or worse. it seems to have gotten a little worse, but it's starting to sound more like an exhaust leak. Only seems to make the sound when I'm on the throttle. As soon as I let off or start coasting in gear it doesn't make the sound - if it was a valve I'd expect it to make the sound all the time. Also I don't have any loss of power, so I'm leaning towards exhaust leak at the head somewhere. I'm gonna pull the fairing off and take a look this week. Hoping it's that and not something valve related.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM

I think I got lucky - it took a look at the bike before work this morning in the light and noticed one of the header nuts was loss, then I noticed the one on the other side was missing completely. So when I get home tonight I'm gonna find a matching nut and put it on and see if my tick/exhaust leak goes away.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like you got away okay! glad to hear it.. er.. or not hear it.. lol

Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM

Yeah, me too. I didn't feel like pulling the motor and the head apart. Especially now that I got the stupid idle/stutter fixed.

Quick Reply: Tick on left side of bike! Help!