CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Thinking about buying a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about buying a bike.

My 2000 F4 has just about 29K on the clock and it runs great! I did just have a full service done, but even before that it ran good. I like the looks of the F4 better then the F4i, but I do like the fact that the F4i is injected. Carbed baike are not bad as long as you keep them tuned and run good fuel in them, but don't let them sit alot without running.

For a Helmet get at least an HJC or better. I have the HJC Dragon and I like it alot and it was only aobut $140.00. BOth of my jackets are Feildsheer and they are damn good for the price. I have a set of Joe Rocket gloves they were $ 43.00 and i liek them alot, but they do not keep my hands warm now that the temp has dropped.

I'm 29 and have rode off road bikes since I was 6 and just conveted to street this year and I love it. I have had a few close calls, but it's part of street riding. Dirt is fun, but street is 100 times better IMO.

Just be careful and you will be fine. it's better that you have been on a bike before rateher then not being on any type of bike ever.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM

How much did it cost to have full service on your bike and what does it include?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 AM

Well i went and did it. i bout me an 00 F4. with 13K on it. the guy used it as a daily driver for a 10 mile tril every day. it ran great all the way home.
it does backfire out the exaust when you let off the gass though.
i thkn that might be an exaust leek though. it has a header and aftermaket muffeler of what brand i'm not sure. it dark outside and i'm tired.
the first real ride on a street bike was one. at night and 2 on LA freeways and 3 getting colder.
but i did fine. i did lear the whole steer right to go left. that was a trip to learn that one. all in all i realy like it. he gave me a helmet and jacket and gloves and a back brace thing. and 2 new tires. all for 3K i though it was a great deal.
now...
how often do the clutches need to be changed? what is a good warnig sign of one going out?
how hard is it to fix an exaust leek?
tha's about all i have for right now.
how do i post a pic?
HR

Old 11-02-2007, 08:58 AM

To post a pic......look up where you are typing.....................................NOW. Hit that picture above that. It's a mountain on a post card. "Add Image"

I've not had to change a clutch yet. 28K on my 900RR, stock clutch. 31K on my GSX-R 1000.....stock clutch. Some wheelies, track days, normal commuting to work, touring, occasional drag strip run and both hold up fine. Dont beat on it and it's amazingly tough.

You'll know when it's dead because it will slip under a load. Say.....5k in 5th gear and you pin the throttle, the RPM will rise but the bike will not pick up speed. It's toast.
An exhaust leak? Depends on where. On the header, they are probably thin wall headers and will be tough to fix unless you know what you're doing with metal. A good shop could probably do it. No idea on the cost though.

Congrats on the bike.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Congarts on the bike. it sounds like you got a killer deal. The back firing could be due to in proper carb jetting-to lean. If the last owner did not install the correct jets for the full exhause then it will back fire like that on decell. One sign the clutch is getting worse is it will grab very far out like mine is doing now. Mine don't slip yet so I will keep running it till it does. I would take the bike to a good Honday dealer to have it gone over real well and the 15K service done if it has not been done yet.

The full service that i got was
Valve Adjust.
Card snyc.
Brake and coolant flush.
Oil change.
Cleaned my K&N air filter.
Adjusted the clutch
and checked the bike all over. I had them install a manual CCT and Vortex sprokets and chain. With parts and all it was like $750.00 out the door. The one dealer wanted that much for about half that.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 AM

ok here goes...

or here is the URL in case that isn't working.

ftp://76.171.156.34/front.jpg
ftp://76.171.156.34/right.jpg
ftp://76.171.156.34/left.jpg
ftp://76.171.156.34/tires.jpg

Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM

man seems like there are alot of yellow bikes on here, but I never see them on the streets....but I like the black tail, looks good

Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 PM

it's realy orenge. i looked at 2 yellow and black ones. then found this orenge and black and like it. It has a limited metallic orange paint job from the factory that is hard to find this is the only one I've ever seen. Has a full exhaust system installed, headers, and a Jardine pipe - This puppy is loud! About to stick some brand new Dunlop's on that came with it. Also has flush mounted LED blinkers.

Thaks for all the input.
HR.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 PM

on those flush mounts you got, does it have a running light or is it just blinker? (2 or 3 wire) ive been looking for a good pair of flushies and i want to keep the running lights, but all the 3-wire pairs are real pricey.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 PM

RawRR, you know i don't know. in looking at some pics it looks as though they are just blinkers. i'll check tomorrow.
as for the MPG people told me to expect 30-35 mpg. well after a 110 miles i filled up with only 2.4 gallons. correct me if i'm wrog but i think that's right around 50 mpg.
i have another pic up too.
ftp://76.171.156.34/night.jpg

Do they make a HID headlight kit for these or atleast somethign close to it.
and how hard is it to change the headlight bulb?
thanks for all the info/input.

HR.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a bike.