CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

suspension, have u guys seen the how to article?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: suspension, have u guys seen the how to article?

ORIGINAL: hondaf4guy

ic. i will have to just try it. how do you do the fronts?
This should tell you what u need to know. It told me everything I know cuz i just read it a couple days ago. If you can handle a flathead screwdriver then u should be able to adjust almost everything. On ur F4 u will need a 9/16 wrench or maybe a mm wrench but my 9/16 worked fine to adjust the top of the fork where it compresses the spring.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM

alright, thanks

Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 PM

You guys have exemplified the old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

You guys are mucking with things you don't understand (I'm not saying this to be mean, its just the observation). You can't just go playing with your suspension because you think its too soft or too stiff. The suspension, though adjustable, isn't as straightforward to play with as you think.

Don't just play with your preload thinking you can make it softer or stiffer. Preload is used for one thing and only one thing!!! And that is to set your sag. Period. End of discussion.

Set your sag first. Nothing else will be of any good if you can't get that right. If you are physically unable to set your sag (e.g. you run out of preload adjustment), then your springs are not suitable for your weight (which is a likely scenario unless you weigh about 140 lbs or less with gear).

If what I've said doesn't sound like english, then take it to a shop that knows about suspension (not likely to be your local honda dealer). Most places charge about $20 to set up a suspension.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 PM

I completely agree with you! Anyone who is adjusting theor suspension on what they "think" they should set it to should just forget it and run the suspension stock. For those of you on this post who just bought your bikes, ride it stock for a season, get a feel of what you like, figure out what you are using your bike for (commuter, canyon carver, etc) THEN adjust your suspension! I did my suspension this past season, and it was unbelievable. But I was ready for it, and I had gotten to know my bike VERY well in the previous season. I adjusted it to the race setting, and then tweaked it as I got more accustomed to how the bike was reacting in certain situations.

ALSO, if you are doing suspension work yourself, find someone who knows more than you do to help you. I am privildged enough to ride with (and live near) several guys who build racebikes, and they are more than willing to help when I have questions- I would have never tried this knowing what I knew then, and I am indebted to their services. There is a website (I don't rememeber the name, but it is the popular site for the suspension specs) with soft, medium, and race settings for most every sportbike from the early-mid 90's on, and that is the one to go with. If anyone wants it, I can find it and post it here.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM

If u can post that site's link please do.
Thank you.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Sinner

If u can post that site's link please do.
Thank you.

try this:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/112.aspx

Old 01-27-2007, 11:42 PM

Yep, top link (sportrider magazine), section 6 on the left hand side. Them's the numbers!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:31 AM

I'm only new to this forum but I believe the link you're looking for is:
http://www.sasbk.co.za/suspension_setup_guidelines.htm

It's a bit of a long read and definately for the more experienced biker but, nevertheless, VERY INFORMATIVE.