CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Stuttering Issue when Hot solved (no issues for 2 months)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuttering Issue when Hot solved (no issues for 2 months)

Guys, I found my fix for the stuttering when hot issue. I've been testing my fix for the last couple of months and it's been working consistently with no problems.

Symptoms:

After riding for 15-20 minutes and stopping at a stop light, bike stutters bad, almost dies and is hard to rev
Once rev'd over around 2k it doesn't stutter as much
Seems to drive fine once moving
Gets worse when fan or blinkers or brake light is on

Testing:

I tested a lot of circuits on the bike. I originally thought my issue was a bad R/R so I replaced it with a new mosfet style one and redid the wiring from the stator with 12 gauge wire. Still having problems though slightly better. After testing more circuits I finally found one that was always running at 11.5v or lower when the rest of the bike was over 12v. This circuit was the one that ran the fuel pump and spark plug coils. I have yet to figure out where the voltage drop is, but it's in the wiring harness up front I believe. To test my theory I have a jumper wiring that goes from the battery to that circuit giving it the voltage/power it needs. 2 months later I still have had no issues, and to verify it is that I can ride the bike for 20 minutes, stop and unplug that jumper wire and my bike starts to stutter almost instantly. I'm going to pull my harness this winter and redo the whole thing with larger and better grade wiring and see if that solves my problem permanently. I was going to use a relay, but figured it'd be better to solve the real problem.

It is extremely nice to be able to sit in traffic in 95 deg temps and not have my bike act up anymore even with the fan and blinker and brake lights on.

Hope this helps any of you.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that is great news!

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 AM

Hi! Did this solve your problem for good?
What did you replaced? Wiring? Relay? Switches?

This is happening in my bike, it sputters and dies as soon as I turn the lights on!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Just to update: In my case, the fuel pump was defective. The switch contacts are too worn, and beside of a pump malfucntion, it might draw to much current which in turn will drop too much voltage across the relay.
So, new contacts and bike happy!

Regards,