CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise

Well, the last few days my f4 has been making a strange noise. It sounds like a realy fast clicking noise and it goes up and down with engine revs. However it only does it sometimes. Does it both in gear and out of gear. Bike is running fine, and i haven't noticed any loss in power/stalling or anything of that nature. what could it be? it almost sounds like the chain, but it does it out of gear too.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: strange noise

how high does it go up to? any vibrations, feels like below the tank? if it's just a clicking but not much vibrations, it's likely an exhaust leak or chattering valves.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally wouldn't suspect the chain, or it wouldn't do it when it's not in gear. Maybe the dreaded cam chain tensioner needs replacement? When both of mine went, the was no noise when it was cold, but as she heated up, it deffinately got worse.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 AM

cam chain tensioner? why do i get the feeling this is going to involve alot of money

Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM

The camchain tensioner went on mine. It used to start with a heavy ticking and rattling (that didn't alter with engine speed) once the engine got warmed up . This didn't happen everytime, sometimes the ticking was less pronounced. if the ticking on your bike starts from cold and follows the engine revs like a fast clock when you blip your throttle then I don't think it's the CCT and I am not sure what it is because My bike still has that even after the CCT was changed. Many fireblades (injection models) seem to suffer with the cold ticking noise problems and most honda dealers haven't got a clue why. I would take it to a dealer in case it's the CCT. You are supposed to hear a slight rattle (noise) on the overrun when you blip the throttle. A trained mechanic should be able to listen for that if you can't.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM

yeah, it's sounding like the cct. It only does it warm, and only occasionally. How much re those bad boys to replace?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 PM

about 50$ for the part from most places.

bossturbo.com has a writeup on how to do it as well

Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 AM

I bought the aftermarket manual adjuster from the website link on this site. I went through 2 OEM CCT's in under 12K kilometers, So I got sick of paying $70 CAD for each CCT from Honda and went with the aftermarket manual adjuster for a few bucks more. Nice piece, works very well and can be adjusted without taking off the tank.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 AM

how often do you have to adjust the manual one?

Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 AM

It's been about 1500 Kilometers since I have put on the manual adjuster and there is just a hint of chain sound, not a rattle but you can hear it vs. just hearing the whining of the cam gears. I figure I should get another 500KM's before adjustment. Semi-frequent adjustments are a small price to pay rather than the hastle and cost of replacing the cct. I like knowing that on the the highway, if she starts gettin' real noisey, I can pull over, pop the side cover off and adjust in about 15 minutes max. On 2000km's journey's (which I like to do on my F4) it's a nice option to have if you need to adjust it. But that's just me. I like to tinker with my bike, so it's fun too.

Quick Reply: strange noise