CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Starter Not Working Properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Not Working Properly

Alright, I was finally able to get my '00 CBR 600 F4for the first time today, but I had to push start it. When you try to crank it, it cranks very slowly and stops cranking after 2 or 3 rotations (even with jumper cables hooked to a running vehicle). However, it runs fine (no weird noises or anything) once you get it running via push start.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I didn't get the gear/shaft in properly for the starter when I installed the stator cover. The bike only has 6500 miles on it so I don't think the starter could be bad, and the battery is brand new (sat for maybe a month in its original packaging) so I don't think that's it either.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NEVER jump start a bike w/a running car! Its ok to jump while car's engine is off.

Not quite sure what all you've done to your bike by your descriptions...
Did the stator go bad & require replacement?
Why did the battery die in the first place?

Hopefully we can help you get it figured out.

BTW, welcome to the forum. ;-)

Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM

I realize its not a good idea, but I was rather frustrated and I need this thing to be running before next Friday so I can actually get home from college.

I guess I should have clarified before, I bought the bike from a guy who dumped it. He tore it apart and the stator cover that came with it was cracked, so I bought a new one. It also didn't come with a battery.

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been on here since I bought the bike but haven't needed to post before. This is kind of baffling me. (BTW I'm not new to bikes, I've built a few cafe racers out of mid-70's Honda CBs, this is just my first "modern" bike.)

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

W/o having specific documentation on what's been done to the bike in the past or knowing what's been damaged from the guy's dumping it, the best thing I can suggest is to download the factory Honda service manual & start working your way thru the troubleshooting procedures (there are links here on the forum).

If the stator was damaged in the impact, it could need replacement.

How is the R/R? A bad stator can damage an R/R.

Even though the battery is new, it could be weak. Need to test it.

It could be any number of things.

The troubleshooting steps will help figure this out.

I realize this isn't the instant puzzle-solving answer. However, you having worked on bikes b/f, you know that you have to work your way thru the troubleshooting steps sometimes to get the answer to the problem. I think if you do that troubleshooting progression, you'll get to the answer quicker like you need.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 AM

I inspected the stator before installing it and saw no signs of damage whatsoever. The damage to the bike when I got it wasn't that bad, there was just a crack in the stator cover, one of the tabs on the case for the stator cover bolts had broken off (I had my friend TIG weld some material there and I drilled/tapped a new hole), and some misc. little stuff got damaged.

What is the R/R? I've never heard that term before.

The battery was putting out 12.44 volts before I charged it via the truck, so that seemed a little low, but I feel like it should still start.

I do have the factory service manual on my laptop and I've consulted that, but the troubleshooting mainly addresses the starter not working at all. My next step is to jump the starter directly from the battery so I can rule out any wiring/relay issues, but its been raining whenever I'm free and my bike is in a dorm parking lot, so I haven't been able to troubleshoot anymore.

Could a bad clutch safety switch or stand safety switch cause this? I'd assume that would just make it not work at all, but I don't know these bikes that well. Also, is it possible that the starter isn't getting a strong enough ground? I noticed the only wire on it is the large power wire, so I'd have to assume it grounds through the case, which leads me to believe that this isn't the culprit.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM

I tried running the battery straight to the starter and it yielded the same results. Also, the case of the starter is grounded properly. Does this mean for sure that its the starter, or is there a chance I installed the assembly inside the stator cover incorrectly?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Its now cranking over faster but still nowhere near starting. I'm getting tired of push starting it, but luckily I'll be heading home from college tomorrow so I can take it to my friend who rebuilds starters.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Mine is doing something simliar... does it misfire at all by chance? I know that the starter cant caue that, but my starting issue is very simliar...

Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM

There's no misfires on my bike. Right now, this starter thing is the only issue.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Pulled the starter yesterday and it bench tested good. The mystery continues.

I'm thinking that maybe the new battery I got isn't good.

Quick Reply: Starter Not Working Properly