CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Speedo off after new sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo off after new sprockets

I put a new chain and sprockets on my 99 F4. I changed the sprocket sizes. I went from a 45 rear and 16 front to a 47 rear and 15 front. Now my speedo is about 10mph off. What do i need to do to get my speedo to read right? Any help would be great. Thanks !!!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Default RE: Speedo off after new sprockets

You need to get a speedo healer. This is always the issue when changing the sprockets. Some people live with it, others get the healer, and adjust the MPH accordingly.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 AM

EHonda is right. I just installed this, and not only was it easy to install, but when you think about how many "false" miles you are putting on your bike, the speedohealer will definately pay for itself in resale value. If your odometer is just 14% off (which it probably is with the sprockets... i have the same setup), that means when it reads 20,000miles, then the bike actually only has17,200miles on it and that's easily a 90 dollar difference in sale price.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto on travisgarrison.

The install was very easy. I have the EXACT same sprocket setup as you... it's not 10mph it's between 7.5% to 11.5% error - meaning that at 100mph it is off by up to 11.5 mph... if you do 60mph meaning to do 50mph you are actually speeding more than you think you are.

The installation?

- remove the seat
- remove the air duct covers (note that the duct covers have the rubber compression nuts on the inside... be careful not to drop them (like I did) because they're a bitch to dig out of the lower fairing if you're lucky enough to have them drop all the way down and not get stuck around the airbox)
- remove the gas tank bolts. If you have a friend they can hold the tank out of your way - it only takes a couple of minutes.
- take the Honda I cable from speedohealer. Looking from the right hand side of the bike at the back edge of where the gas tank sat - look down and you'll find the honda speedosensor connection. It has the same connectors as the speedohealer Honda I Y-cable.
- unplug the sensor
- plug the male hondaI into the female stock plug
- plug the male stock plug into the hondaI female plug
- route the Honda I cable along the rear-subframe, cable tieing it as you go with the provided zip ties. Make sure you don't overly tighten the zip ties, and also make sure that there is bit of slack to allow things to move.

- put the gas tank back on the bike we're done with that part...
- if you have a friend they can put the duct covers on now.
- finish routing the hondaI cable so that you have a good spot to put the speedohealer. I put mine under the passenger portion of the seat.
- plug the hondaI cable into the speedo healer

----SET UP----
Test that it's plugged in and working - turn the ignition on and the speedohealer should blink a few times.

Figure out your error correction number. I have used 7.5% for now... I think I will end up using 11.5% but have to double check my numbers.

Put all 6 switches in the up position
Turn the ignition on.

Switch meaning:
1 - Test
2 - No Conversion/ covert mph to km/h convert km/h to mph
3 - Negative/positve correction
4 - 10s
5 - 1s
6 - 1/10ths

I wanted a negative (default) correction, I wanted no speed unit (km->miles, miles->km) correction (default)...

so I put all switches DOWN except 5.
I pushed the button 7 times
It blinks 7 times (correct)
I put the 6th switch up AND THEN the 5th switch down (if they are all down it leaves the calibration mode)
I pushed the button 5 times
It blinked 5 times (correct)

So that is good - I have successfully entered a correction of 7.5%. I put all of the switches down to leave calibration mode.

- put the seat on and go for a short ride
- take the seat off, turn the ignition on, push the speedohealer button - it should indicate on the speedometer your top speed... mine was a whopping 60km/h

Cheers,
woot

Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 AM

Now when I look at my speedometer... guess what? It tells me my real speed an no more math to guess how fast I'm going... sure makes it a lot more comfortable passing a cop car on the highway when you are SURE that you're not really speeding that much

The other cool thing - on the track the speedo gets taped up... at the end of each session you can check your top speed... it doesn't really tell you much but it is kinda cool to legally have your high score in the 200km/h + range

Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks For the help and instructions on how to install. I just bought the healer on ebay. Thanks alot Duane,

Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Duane? err... Dave

Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM

If you switch from 16/45 to 15/47 the correction factor is: 0.8976 or I think the speedo healer does it in terms of negative percent which is -10.2%
That's assuming that your stock speedo is correctly calibrated.
With 15/47 you should be doing 60mph in 6th gear at about 5200RPM (+/-100 rpm)(assuming stock rear wheel size 17-180-55)

Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks Duane,

Old 09-03-2007, 04:05 PM

hey i have the same problem.... i checked ebay and couldnt find a speed healer. where did everyone get theirs? thanks

Quick Reply: Speedo off after new sprockets