CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

So I took a Spill today. :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I took a Spill today. :(

As the title says, I took a spill today on my 2000 CBR F4. Mechanically, the bike works, but the right fairing got ****ed up BIG, and something needs to be done. So I need some advice.

I looked at the Partsfiche, and it would cost me $400 to replace just the right fairing. So how much would it be to repaint the whole bike? What is the expected cost to repaint the bike to a new colour/ design?

what should i do?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Default RE: So I took a Spill today. :(

what color scheme is your bike, fairings are a dime a dozen and you can usually find either f4i or f4 fairings for between 40-100 a piece. 400 for one fairing is ridiculous imo when you can get a whole set on ebay brand new aftermarket in any color you want for about 550 shipped. Save your money, find a used fairing, put on some frame sliders and get back on the road. Or ride it naked for a while lol...not you the bike.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM

I did the exact same about two years ago, bike was bought with a bit of road rash and I helped it out. Now I had a small dent in the gas tank, which really upset me. With repainting the tank and looking for a replacement farring, I went the eBay route and got a replacement replica race kit. Now these kits do require modification and addition of a number of mounting devices and holes, however for $550 for the full kit vs. $400 for one replacement, I went with the extra $150, and with proper patients you can make your bike really standout. Another problem with the OEM is if you buy it un-painted you can get the matching Honda paint from Honda, colorrite.com,or goto yourlocalauto paint shopand havethemmatch the paint (It is difficult to get a cheappaint from a NAPA orsuch, as getting your hands onthe paint code from Honda to create your own paint at a store is difficult, you almost have to get it optically matched to recieve decent results).

If you can find a used one, do it that way. Otherswise if youreally want to save money, reuse yours. Borrow a plasticweld kit, sand the farring down, repaint. I have seen some bikes go from horrible tobreathtaking with a little work and paint (Many stunt bikes).

If you have any other questions regarding the subject, or would like some help let me know. I have done3of the fairing conversion kits now, andhave a decent idea of the best way to repair. Another idea, post pictures of your bike and letssee how bad it looks.

Peace.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM

im sorry to hear bout ur bike,what caused u to hit the pavement? if you can post a pic to see how bad or little the damage is, maybe that "plasticweld kit" might work for ya

Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 PM

Hey guys. I also had an unfortunate meeting with a car this summer too. New plastic on eBay is running over $600 with the $400 Buy it Now price (and with $240 shipping from Hong Kong), so I'm guessing I can get at $100 under the Buy it Now price? But the main question I have is... are these Hong Kong manufacturers making worthwhile products? It is hard to understand why these plastic peices are twice as expensive as electronic componets when replacing parts. Any other advice about getting plastic on eBay? Thank you.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never bought them, but from reading posts by people who have, the Hong Kong pieces require modification and hole drilling to make work. I do have a hongkong upper headlight fairing that ive never installed for mine, and it doesnt have the mounts for the ram air covers at all. The plastics from Honda are overly expensive and so good used ones tend to be aswell. Thats just part of owning a sportbike. You could always run street fighter if push comes to shove.