CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Seat Release Modification

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Release Modification

So when I bought my bike it was missing the seat release lock cylinder and just had the cable hanging out the back. I dealt with that for a while but anyone could go in there and it looked like crap so now that I've changed the tail to an F4i I rigged up something to pop it open without having to buy another lock cylinder. Total cost to me: $10. Here's what it took:

1)Remote trunk release solenoid - $10 Ebay
2)Key maintained switch with N/O contact - Free From Work (haha)

Just mounted the solenoid on the side of the undertray with the cable leading up to the seat release. Installed the key switch where the lock cyclinder should have been (this took the longest it was very tight in there). Tapped 12v from the fuse block so it is double redundant. The ignition has to be on and the key switch has to be turned to make it open. Just tried it yesterday and it works great! In place of the key switch, a N/O push button will do the same thing. The only thing negative about this is that if the battery dies than no worky, so a plan "b" should be used in case that happens. In my case I can just snag the release cable through the opening for the taillight. Not real exciting but thought I'd share.

Attached Thumbnails Seat Release Modification-100_0016.jpg   Seat Release Modification-100_0018.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM

good thinking nice upgrade specially that F4i tail. I just added a second key switch to mine and I'll show everybody what is for as soon as I get my bike back from the shop. But ur project just goes to show everybody theres always room for improvement when u think bout it long enough. good job

Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Default re:

That's cool. I relocated my lock barrel to face down into the "wheel well" instead of out the back on my F4 tail. I did an integrated tail, and moved the license plate up to where the original lock barrel placement was. It gets annoying to locate sometimes though, and I always have the habit of starting my bike then realizing my helmet is still locked in. So I have to turn off the bike after starting it (which I hate to do), unlock the helmet and start it again.

Your thread has given me the idea to put in a solenoid that is powered by the IGNITION ON position. This way the switch would still be protected by the key (only way to power it) and also give my dumbass the ability to open the seat without turning off the bike.

For safety, I would maybe put in 2 push buttons that need to be hit in sequence to prevent a rock or other debris from completing the circuit while the bike is in motion. Or maybe I could rig it into the neutral switch...? Yes, I like that idea better.

Thanks for the inspiration and good job with your mod.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Eventually I would like to do an under tail as well so I'll have to knock another hole sometime. Yeah you wouldn't want that thing flying off when your riding, that's why I used the key switch instead of a pushbutton. I could probably hook you up with a key switch, I'll have to see if I have any more. Otherwise I have a bunch of sealed contact pushbuttons that would work perfect for underneath.