CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Replacing Fuel Pump... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing Fuel Pump... any tips?

Seems straightforward...
My F4 has died on me 3 times in the 1600 miles I have put on it this season... always the same thing.. I can feel it start to bog out as if it is out of gas.. but of course it isn't.. the bike will start to nose over under any throttle and then stall... it will not restart.. if I choke it up all the way it might start but then it will struggle stay running even under throttle.. matter o fact it sounded like a Vtwin or that it was running on only 2 or 3 cylinders... the first two times I let it sit and I tried it a few times.. eventually she fired right up.. sounded great and ran strong again.. went for another 300-600 miles without issue...

well the third time I was pretty far out on the island with a buddy.. I felt it nose over.. let it sit and it did the same thing.. sometimes when I turn the key on the fuel pump pulses.. other times it does not... weird.. after turning the key on and off a few times eventually the pump primed and then it started right up.. I flew home and parked it.. I did open the gas cap when it didnt start to check for vapor lock or pressure.. there was none.

Anyway... my new fuel pump and fuel filter came today.... too late to do it today though.. wish it could have been here before noon..

It seems pretty straightforward... the service manual doesnt say anything about replacing it... but it looks like 2 bolts to the subframe, two hose clamps on the pump and two on the filter.. reuse the rubber pump isolator thing.. and dont forget the rubber third vent hose.. oh and the plug..

I think the worst thing will be the tank.. thank goodness there is only about a gallon or so left.. the service manual talks about an eyelet wrench to hold the tank up... which one is that? I have a tool kit from another CBR model but its pretty much the same parts... if not I have a good amount of tools...

I guess I am just looking to avoid any snafus... and oh yeah.. I will shut the petcock off.. lol.. hope I don't forget otherwise I'll know soon enough.

Thanks for reading this and sorry for being so longwinded..
Adam

#10 and #5

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Official Welcome Crew

just looked through the owner's manual.... its better than the service manual it seems for the wrench size.. shows a 22mm box end wrench.. I don't have that in my tool kit. I have a 27 and one that is even larger.. I think my kit is from a 600RR or 929 or something... pretty much everything else is the same except that one is gone... maybe a 7/8 combination would work?

Does anyone have a picture of the fuel tank raised up with the wrench in there? That would be good to see...

Last edited by Turbulenz; 07-19-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbulenz, get yourself a couple of strong bungee cords and hook them to the rear sets and then to the holes on the gas tank. I found this to be the best way to hold the tank up....then you can work without anything being in the way.

As for the fuel pump, I have heard that to test it you can bypass the pump by taking it completely out and then just running a straight fuel line. Then just see if the bike has the same issues. Perhaps someone can verify this as I have not tested it. (although since you seem to already have a new pump you might as well throw it in).

Old 07-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Official Welcome Crew

great idea on the bungee cords! I'm goin to try that... yeah I already bought a new pump... the bike has almost 21K on it.. might as well replace it even if perhaps it is just the contacts....

It is definitely fuel related.. I can feel teh bike running out of gas.... if worst comes to worst, there is only the fuel relay left.. and I will inspect the fuel hoses while its apart....

Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Official Welcome Crew

OK.. all done.. I ended up just pulling the tank off... since I had the CCTL done recently by a shop, the fuel hoses came off the tank pretty easily.. labeled them and it was off. The filter looked old.. the pump was pretty decent looking.. I think it is original though... I want to remove the plastic cover thing and check out the contacts.... this one sounds the same as the other one.. same pulsing action.. but hopefully it doesnt stop... and hopefully that was my problem.

One victim of the repair was the rubber piece that holds the fuel filter on.. it tore where it hooks on the metal tab... I put it on as best as I could and added a zip tie.. I'll order a new one next time I buy some OEM stuff.. (Its number 7 in the pic above)..

I dont understand why the local shop wanted $120 labor to do the job.. the job took less than an hour and that was with breaks and wiping sweat (damn hot out!). Ironically the same place only charged me $80 to do the CCTL. Both rates were with them supplying the part... but who knows...

Love this bike... hope that cures it.

Adam

Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM

pretty easy, i just did mine awhile back, stuff some rags around and under the area the pump is at so you don't get gas on everything, some gas is likely to spill

Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM

You can test it with just a straight line, I actually eliminated my fuel pump all together awhile back seems to run the same except when you get to reserve then it starves for fuel under hard acceleration.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Default Did it fix it?

I have had the same exact problem for the past week. Did this fix yours? My pump is only a year old. My friends are saying I need a new Regulator/Rectifier.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Official Welcome Crew

It has only been about 100 miles since I replaced teh pump and filter (havent had as much time to ride as I have wanted to). The bike feels great, but then again it felt good before too... maybe a bit smoother now.. who knows.. might be in my head.

I'll be keeping up with this thread as the mileage piles on.. in the 1800 miles since I have gotten my bike, it happened three times.. so there were like 300-500 miles between each occurrence..... I'll be 'sold' on the repair at another 1000 miles I guess.. lol

All roads lead to fuel though... the R/R thing yeah.. it would stall.. maybe drain the battery and not crank.. but this does crank.. it feels like it is running out of fuel.. not the R/R... and it didnt feel like ignition.. it didnt just cut out or start misfiring.. it felt like the carbs were just empty...

Adam

Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Default Re:Fuel Pump

Thanks for the update Adam. Mine is acting up every 100 miles or so. Its the exact same thing you described. If it sits for 20 mins, she runs great. Im slowly replacing , cleaning things but so far, no dice.

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Pump... any tips?