CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Rectifier / Regulator went kaput

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rectifier / Regulator went kaput

Hey fellas just did some testing and found my rectifier regulator went bad...

as most of ya'll know I like to mod so what other's can fit on the bike

also if you guys want a nice after market ones which I may wind up getting

check theses guys out

ElectroSport - Motorcycle, Dirt Bike and ATV - OEM Quality Stators, Regulator/rectifiers and CDIs

Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry your R/R died. It happens. ;-)

I've recommended the ElectroSport unit b/f as an aftermarket replacement, if you want to go that route. From others I know that have used it, its performed well.

As I'm sure you've seen from my previous posts on the R/R, Honda revised & redesigned the R/R & it supersedes the old flat model. The new version is finned & is the only version you can order via Honda Parts..

Since I installed my new factory finned version R/R years ago, its worked perfectly. I relocated the R/R position to the Left side of the bike's subframe, where the F4i model has it located. My R/R is on its own on the left side & gets plenty of airflow.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM

^ gotcbr recommended the electrosport r/r when i opened a thread earlier. I ordered one but when I installed it, it was overcharging my battery. Putting out about 18.5v it boiled the acid in my new battery when i went for the first ride . I sent it back and am currently waiting on a replacement which I will be testing this time before I ride.

Just a FYI really. I have heard good things about their r/r's. Maybe I just have crappy luck.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 99cbrf4600
^ gotcbr recommended the electrosport r/r when i opened a thread earlier. I ordered one but when I installed it, it was overcharging my battery. Putting out about 18.5v it boiled the acid in my new battery when i went for the first ride . I sent it back and am currently waiting on a replacement which I will be testing this time before I ride.

Just a FYI really. I have heard good things about their r/r's. Maybe I just have crappy luck.
Sorry to hear of your experience. First time I've heard of an electrosport going bad like this. Like anything made my man, there will be failures.

FWIW, I always recommend the new revised finned factory Honda unit R/R over anything else first.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM

99cbrf4600, I went back thru your posts & found this...https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...stions-140684/. Myself & Turbulenz both recommended the new finned unit from Honda as replacement.

Also, I recommended getting a good quality battery such as the Yuasa. I mentioned that I didn't care for Walmart batteries. <-That may be part of your bike's issue. I've personally experienced issues w/ Walmart batteries & they were more trouble than what they were worth.

Nevertheless, hope you get your bike's issues sorted quickly.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-26-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: link
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Sorry Boyo, don't mean to take over your thread.

Gotcbr, I did go out and get a Yuasa battery, it is installed. The r/r from electrosport you were right about. You did say get the finned version. I guess i found electrosport from another forum member.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Might pick up one of these finned versions for as spare and chuck it under the seat for when this one goes **** up lol

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM

when i installed a brand new stator, r/r and battery, for extra reliability i straight wired the three stator wires (did away with connector and soldered then shrink tubed them), also, i straight wired the r/r posi and neg to the battery with a 30 amp inline fuse on the posi side (carry extra fuses). then i strapped a cpu fan on top of the r/r to help keep it cool. (posi side to the rear running lights and neg to frame) after that i hooked up a koso digital volt meter to be able to monitor my charging system at all times, so i will know when my charging system is acting up before it fries expensive parts and leaves me stranded.

since i did this the voltage stays at 14.5, in hot weather, even at idle. i keep a extra r/r, mini solder torch, solder, 12 ft roll of wire, female and eye butt-end connectors, fuses, diodes, wire brush and wire strippers under my seat at all times....why? getting stranded out in the middle of no where in the mountains by yourself really, really, sucks.

Last edited by cBrentb; 09-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
when i installed a brand new stator, r/r and battery, for extra reliability i straight wired the three stator wires (did away with connector and soldered then shrink tubed them), also, i straight wired the r/r posi and neg to the battery with a 30 amp inline fuse on the posi side (carry extra fuses). then i strapped a cpu fan on top of the r/r to help keep it cool. (posi side to the rear running lights and neg to frame) after that i hooked up a koso digital volt meter to be able to monitor my charging system at all times, so i will know when my charging system is acting up before it fries expensive parts and leaves me stranded.

since i did this the voltage stays at 14.5, in hot weather, even at idle. i keep a extra r/r, mini solder torch, solder, 12 ft roll of wire, female and eye butt-end connectors, fuses, diodes, wire brush and wire strippers under my seat at all times....why? getting stranded out in the middle of no where in the mountains by yourself really, really, sucks.
Now that's what I call preparation... nice

Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like gotcbr said, I had good results with the updated OEM Honda R/R. Make sure that it is the Honda one and not a cheaper aftermarket one that looks similar. I made a post a while ago showing how they look compared to the OEM one.

Quick Reply: Rectifier / Regulator went kaput