CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Rebuild of stolen f4

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild of stolen f4

Hello all im new to the forum and for those of you that read my introduction post here goes my build thread. last year my 99 f4 was stolen, i just recently got the frame and a engine back, so this is what it use to look. like

I may have a line on a whole bike to do the swap to my frame and whats left of what i have. im gonna try to trade the guy a saab 9000 turbo for it he might bite on it.Only thing is i dont know if either of the bikes engines are any good. so first things first to try to make these motors run before i do any swapping. Does anyone know what it would take to make it run before i do any swapping? the donor bike has an Electrical problem im told but the engine is supposed to run good. so i dont know if i can trust his word. my engine ran great before the theft 20xxx miles. So any inputs on how to make the engines run or at least to turn over to do a compression test?

Next few days are gonna be a complete teardown of whats left. if i get this other bike it should be a fairly quick build. I want to repolish the frame and swingarm so this may take some time. The f4 looks great polished and chromed!! Ill put up pictures of the frame and dissasembly soon.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Default Got what i needed

okay so i got the other bike mostly complete for the saab. my last pic didnt show up so im gonna try to get it right. the donors bike engine runs but i do not have a title for it. so my current plan is to swap over enough to see if my engine runs. if it does i should be up and going with a little help from you guys and a little effort. If it doesnt run i will swap engines. i have a factory service manual to accomplish either possibility. if you guys got any tips for removing the front end shout em out but this is how it stands nowName:  100_1910.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  100_1905.jpg
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  100_1909.jpg
Size:  104.5 KB

Old 09-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Default Got what i needed

okay so i got the other bike mostly complete for the saab. my last pic didnt show up so im gonna try to get it right. the donors bike engine runs but i do not have a title for it. so my current plan is to swap over enough to see if my engine runs. if it does i should be up and going with a little help from you guys and a little effort. If it doesnt run i will swap engines. i have a factory service manual to accomplish either possibility. if you guys got any tips for removing the front end shout em out but this is how it stands nowName:  100_1910.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  100_1905.jpg
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  100_1909.jpg
Size:  104.5 KB

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Is that swinger extended? I just put up a bunch of stuff from my build so if you need anything let me know, what do you need help with on removing the front end?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM

yeah both of the swingarms are extended i was suprised it was still on there, i will be going with shorter one off the donor bike because i dont have a chain long enough. i took the handlebars off , the ignition switch off , now i am left with the forks and the stem the nut was on and the fork wheel assembly. would like to pull it off and put it on the other frame. i shouldnt have to take the wheel off the forks right? lol im a full time tech but i dont have much experience with bikes. next ill be swapping the swingarm and rear wheel. im not quite sure what to do with the stem i took the nut off and further dissasembly of the forks and front wheel. any help if my bad description gives you a picture of where im at. thanks more pics soon

Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 PM

Name:  42a151c4-10cf-4fca-a5a0-3f85bc912731_zps22f8d930.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  78.9 KB

I think the nut you're talking about (red arrow) is the connection between the triple tree and frame. Theres a rod that goes through the frame and allows the forks and such to pivot and be connected (steering head i believe it's called). You need to remove it anyway so just leave it off. Do a search for cbr f4 triple tree and you'll have a better view of what's going on with it.

Here's a link on how to take the forks out: How to remove the front forks and change the fork oil F4/F4i in Tutorials for Honda Sports Bikes Forum

The blue arrows are the clamps he's talking about.

Since you're just moving them from one bike to the other with the wheel and everything I don't think you have to take the wheel off. Just lift the bike higher so theres room for the forks to slide out. Not sure about this.

Last edited by stealthy92; 09-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

you don't have to remove the wheel however I found it leaps and bounds easier to remove the wheel, it takes maybe 5 minutes, and lightens the forks a lot. Oh and as you know, jack stands are your friends

Name:  IMAG0736.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  214.9 KB

Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 AM

okay so i think i can slide the forks out but how does the stem come out of frame to put on the other frame do i need a special socket.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM

okay so i got everything swapped from the donor bike and she wants to start but wont stay running i think its the fuel pump i cant feel it pulsing or should i? i do not have a key but when i connect the battery the ignition switch is on the starter will fire the bike but only stay running with the starter. im thinking maybe some type of anti theft problem help on what to do next?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the carbs would be my first guess. Do a search for it. Lots of information. Fairly typically problem if they have sat for a while.

Quick Reply: Rebuild of stolen f4