CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Problem with carbs???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with carbs???

WATS UP every1. i got a 99 cbr f4 with a DD exhaust...it probobly has not been jetted for the slip on. It used to idle funny, jump btwn 750 and 1250 i would say. it only has 7k on it so it has probly sat for a while. Now when i jumped on it, itis starting to sputter or hesitate, when i go from about 5k rpms and punch it. as it climbs it will sputter. sometimes when i go over big bumps it does it too. I have been riding it for a while now probly 100 miles and it just started to do this. Do you think its a carb problem? I also noticed the speedometer was a little whacky. i am going to put injection cleaner in the gas tank and run it like that to see if that makes any difference. also could this be a battery? let me know i really appreciate it.!!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Default RE: Problem with carbs???

First, make sure your idle stop screw is adjusted properly. Your way below idle RPMs it should be between 1500-1300 RPMs. Injector cleaner wont do anything for it. Your wasteing your money. Do you have an aftermarket air filter?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:39 PM

i havent even checked the air filter...good point...but that wouldnt explain why it breaks up when you gun the throttle...does it? i think it is the carbs, they probobly need to be cleaned i just dont have the time or the money...and what about the speedo jumping? it makes me think the clutch could be slipping? i dont know....the help the better thanks alot!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 PM

The air filter would effect it. Your loading it up with fuel when you open the throttle all the way yet its not getting enough oxygen. Fuel + Oxygen = Fire. No Oxygen = No Fire. I bet its stock air filter and is probably seriously dirty. As for carbs, a cheap easy way to clean them, buy some stuff called Seafoam at autozone and put it into your gas tank with a fresh tank of gas. You said it sat for a while so I bet its all gunked up everywhere. Might want to buy a extra bottle of seafoam and run it though twice. This would be a VERY good time to replace the sparkplugs. Just lift up the gas tank (easy) and take off the airbox (easy). You can pull the plugs and replace them like you would with a car. Get some NKJ Iridum from sparkplugs.com. Hell while I'm at it.

[ol][*]New Air Filter, K&N Filter[*]NJK Iridum Sparkplugs[*]New fuel filter[*]Run seafoam though it[*]Maby an oil change too?[/ol]Clutch slipping wouldn't cause any of this. Clutch only tansfers power from the motor to the back wheel. If it was slipping the RPMs would go up and you wouldn't gain any speed.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 PM

So Seafoam fuel treatment is good stuff? Is that the stuff that makes the engine smoke out the pipe like a turned up diesel?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:28 PM

Ya, smoke that comes out the pipe is some sort of carbon that is burning. Most of that smoke will be the seafoam so dont think its all the crap thats been building up that being burnt.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 PM

i ran seafoam through the gas tank today...i only ran it for about 5-10 min. but the hesitation problem was still there... when you are throttling up rpm range the speedometer goes whacky and you can tell that at certain points through the range, it hesitates or bucks, it will still go all the way to 12000 or w/e the limit is. Could this be a short? or an air leak? maybe it needs new plugs? anything haha. i dont have the money to take it to a shop right away, maybe some of you guys have experienced this? thanks for your help, Ben

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Humm. Might need to sync the carbs?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM

yeah the carbs probobly need to be cleaned but its just wierd how, it was fine...i let my friends ride it and now its hesitating and the speedo is goin outa control bouncing up and down? thats the only thing thats throwing me off ya kno?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 PM

I didn't say they need to be cleaned. They might been to be synconized.

Quick Reply: Problem with carbs???