CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

popping during acceleration/deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping during acceleration/deceleration

Hi everyone
So on my last post I was doing all the carb cleaning and getting my bike started again (flooded)

anyway now i have new plugs and the bike is running smoother.
So aside from the slight popping in low rpm range (due to K&N filter and Remus slip on) the bike ran great yesterday.

Well at night when I was riding home, i noticed my bike sounded a lot more "throaty" than usual. I thought it was just a low RPM thing, but I downshifted to keep the rpms high and I still hear a difference than what I heard in the morning time.

So I know I should purchase a set of Jets to rejet my bike due to the extra air and freeing up the exhaust, but does that explain why my bike is doing that?

Also I am planning a trip about 100 miles 1 way this weekend, is it safe to run my bike like this?

Thanks
Jon

Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you're ok to run it. You may have an exhaust leak due to a poor seal on the new can. Also, your air to fuel mixture may be off. You're getting more air into the system now which could be causing the popping. A pair mod could help this.

Either way, you're more than likely ok if you can live w/ the "pop"...at least for the time being til you can delve into it more thoroughly after your trip.

Happy motoring & have a good trip.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Cool, Thanks for the info.

one other thing though, I recently replaced my R/R and boy the bike is great now even when hot (plus Redline water wetter always helps)

but during city riding, the bike still dims a bit when i have brakes depressed (not enough to affect idle but still noticable)

My battery might be shot due to some hot stalls before my R/R replacement (and more than once i forgot to turn OFF my bike.....)

So has anyone thought of or put in a larger capacity battery in there? What batteries from other CBRs may fit?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 PM

I can tell you that the battery out of my RC51 will work in my CBR. ;-)

All joking aside, get the best battery for the money that you can. You'll thank yourself later. I use Yuasa batteries in my bikes. Just get the size recommended for your bike & you're good to go.

Yeah, when I had my R/R woes & upgraded to the upgraded R/R that superseded the old non-finned version, my bike felt ooh sooo much better. ;-)

Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I can tell you that the battery out of my RC51 will work in my CBR. ;-)

All joking aside, get the best battery for the money that you can. You'll thank yourself later. I use Yuasa batteries in my bikes. Just get the size recommended for your bike & you're good to go.

Yeah, when I had my R/R woes & upgraded to the upgraded R/R that superseded the old non-finned version, my bike felt ooh sooo much better. ;-)
So I think my battery is officially dead.
I rode around town and after I went down a slope, my bike started sputtering again. I give it gas and it starts dying on me.

After that, the bike won't start at all. I had to push it a mile up hill >_<
I fully charged it with an auto charger saturday night, rode it for 30 miles monday, 20 miles tuesday and now today it's dead....

This is getting extremely frustrating....

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Batteries are indeed temperamental. They tend to fight the good fight...til there's no more fight left in them. They'll take a charge or three til they are spent.

I was on a ride in full leathers last summer when I noticed my battery weakening. I was about 40 mi from home when I got what I thought was my last start. I headed toward home but the bike died b/f I could get there. I was at a red light when the bike died. So there I was in full leathers, middle of the day, & 90+ degrees. :O I had to push the bike thru the intersection. Thank goodness a cute girl followed me thru the intersection to make sure I was ok. ;-)

Keep your chin up. Hopefully, you'll be good to go w/a new battery.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM

So........ I was in the office today and thought.... hmmm last time I was working on my bike, i think I turned off my fuel supply at the petcock valve..............

yeah.......... at least i got a good workout......
but I got a battery anyway (don't want to get stranded 100 miles from home)

Thanks gotcbr for your help! Gonna tackle the PAIR mod when I'm back!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Sure thing. Hope your trip goes well.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Unhappy

My biggest fear happened. My battey cooked and now my bike is 100 miles away form home. Is it a bad regulator? What should I do??

Can I run my bike with a new battery on this R/R? Or should I put in my old battery and stock R/R?

I had to ride double up home and I am totally exhausted. But I still need to go back down to grab my bike.

This really turned into a HUGE disappointment....

Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM

cybaster,

That stinks for sure. Glad you had a way back.

Well, let's see what we've got to go on...
  • You replaced your R/R & said it was running great.
  • But, you were using an old battery that you thought might be shot b/f you replaced the R/R.
  • Old battery died. You charged it. It died again...but you thought it was prob going bad anyway. So, you replaced w/ new battery.
  • On trip, new battery "cooked". So, a charging prob def exists.
From your descriptions, it sounded like your old battery was def bad. Thus, the recommendation for a new battery. Unfortunately, b/f your trip, we didn't have time to test the assumption that was the actual/only problem. From what we have to go on, there is a problem w/ charging system.

W/ the R/R being new though & running "great" as you reported previously...but...after installing a new battery, the bike still died on your trip, the R/R is suspect.

Is your new R/R the newer factory Honda superseded version for F4's, the 31600-MV4-010 w/ cooling fins? The old original non-finned SH633-12 version R/R was prone to overheating, causing problems, & Honda finally caught on replacing it w/ the newer finned version.

I quickly looked over a couple of your old posts & I'm not sure if you're using the factory Honda R/R or something else. ??? Not that anything other than factory Honda is bad but I don't recommend anything other than the newer factory Honda version for the F4. Plus, the factory R/R comes w/a warranty, in case of failure.

Too, improper mounting of the R/R can be a problem. Make sure its securely mounted to the subframe via backing plate, etc.

Ok, I hope we can figure this out. Charging/electrical probs are a major pain...& even harder to diagnose over the interwebs. However, I hope we can help you thru this somewhat.

Quick Reply: popping during acceleration/deceleration