Poor owner Strange Problem, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor owner Strange Problem, Please help

Hi everyone

I have a CBR600 F4 1999 model

Having a realy strange problem with it,

It will start and run, but after acouple of minuets it starts to splutter then eventually die,, if you blip tho throtel it shuts straigt off, (as if its being starved of fuel)
Straight after if i shut of the ignition , then back on the bike willstart and do exactly the same again.
It it very intermitent , sometimes will run okay

I have borrowed my mates spare track bike in fully working order, exactly the same model, so we can switch and test bits as we wish

So far we have swapped or checked the following

The whole fuel tank to make sure the fuel tap aint faulty
Swapped The fuel filter and pump
Swapped Fuel Pump relay
Swapped The battery
Checked all of the fuses
swappedrectifyer/regulator
Swapped ICM
Swapped Spark Plugs

I think thats everything

Oh and it has a datatool system 3 alarm fitted(pain in back side)

Any help is greatly appreciated as the good weather is coming and i dont want to be stuck in a hot car

Cheers guys

Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Default RE: Poor owner Strange Problem, Please help

Do you have spark when it dies? Do you have fuel at the plugs when it dies? (wet plugs). Just trying to narrow the search. How long has the bike sat? Could the carbs needle and seats be clogged up and only allowing a trickle of fuel to fill the float bowls?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM

hi there i just edited my post,

added the following "Straight after if i shut of the ignition , then back on the bike willstart and do exactly the same again."

The bike has not realy been sat untill this problem developed, i baught it from a mate who has been using its for a while, i had it on the road for a good few months before this problem occured.

if it was the carbs could it still be showing the symptoms that i just added?, sorry i forgot to add this into the original post

Also forgot to mention it has a datatool system 3 alarm fitted

cheers danny

Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Try taking the alarm out of the system. Since it is a change from stock, it "may" affect something.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM

This is our next line of atack, i hate electrics and the alarm looks to be pretty complex but we will give it a go, in a way i do hope it is the alarm coz i hate it..thanks for the advice

Old 03-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Even over time, the carbs can become out of sync. If it was running fine before you encountered this problem, then electronics may not be the case. How would something electrical cause the bike to die, when a mechanical throttle is blipped? If it is restarting and running then it should be getting spark or enough of a spark to ignite the gas in the cylinder. Once you complete the electrical diagnostic and confirm, I will bet that it could be one of the following.

dirty carbs
dirty primary jet/main jet
bad needle seat(s) on the end of the float needle(s).

To eliminate your carbs from the equation, remove them, and inspect/clean the jets, the needles. Just over time, the rubber on the end of the needle valves can harden up and not regulate the flow of gas being pumped up through the main jet. More likely than not, this will be your issue.

I didn't see this in your list of initial diagnostics, then later on it was mentioned by another person. That's just my .02 cents though. Good luck with getting it right.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Illushun

Even over time, the carbs can become out of sync. If it was running fine before you encountered this problem, then electronics may not be the case. How would something electrical cause the bike to die, when a mechanical throttle is blipped? If it is restarting and running then it should be getting spark or enough of a spark to ignite the gas in the cylinder. Once you complete the electrical diagnostic and confirm, I will bet that it could be one of the following.

dirty carbs
dirty primary jet/main jet
bad needle seat(s) on the end of the float needle(s).

To eliminate your carbs from the equation, remove them, and inspect/clean the jets, the needles. Just over time, the rubber on the end of the needle valves can harden up and not regulate the flow of gas being pumped up through the main jet. More likely than not, this will be your issue.

I didn't see this in your list of initial diagnostics, then later on it was mentioned by another person. That's just my .02 cents though. Good luck with getting it right.
Good advice.

I would also be willing to wager..(if I were not also poor...)

The reason the bike will not stay running is a fuel issue..

If after doing the above suggested and then you are sure you have a healthy fueling system but it still won't run right...

Check the mechanical ends of the timing...cam lobes...intake and exhaust valves...cam chain...etc.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM

Hey guys

Firstly thank you all for the help and replys , it is greatly appreciated

We have found the fault

After a great deal of switching and testing sensors etc ,dad noticed a loose wire coming from the bottom of an electrical component,, Very strange as it was not bare but appeard to be sealedup with heat shrink,

I decided to bare the heat shrink off only to find a blob of solder on the end [:-] Thought it was suspicious so we unraveld the cover from the wire loom near by only to find another wire (again sealed off with heatshrink) bared it back and another blob of solder appeared, same colour wires (white and black) i belive its earth.

we figured at somepoint this wire had been cut and then re-joined and coverd with heat shrink ,,, Then snapped causing my problem, Guess this could be the guy who fitted the alarm , mebe made a mistake

Anyway we re-connected this wire with a bodge it scotch conector for testing and HEY presto bike fired up and runs sweet as,

The component the wire was coming from is the Fuel regulator,,, This gets info from the Throtel sensor and tells the pump when more fuel is needed. (i think)

Apparently once the ignition is switchedon the pump primes the carbs with fuel automaticly,,, but then the pump relys on this regulator for further info,, this is why when i bliped the throttle the pump sat doing jack all...

I think the above makes sense , Please correct me if not

Once again Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/11620/C589329E72CC48EEAE145DC0CF5B5C83.jpg[/IMG]

PS ill get a better pic if needed

Danny

Old 03-19-2007, 02:57 AM

If your still looking for more info a better picture would be helpful, with an arrow to the wire or wires that were broke...but then if the bikes running in tip top condition who really cares right

Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Im sound now, Bike is fine, just posting to give info for anyone that may need help in future Again thanks for the help