CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Please help me im new owner and rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Please help me im new owner and rider

hi guys. i ve been driving motorcycles on track for a while but i have decided to get my liscence for the road. i have a CBR-F4 99 that i`ve been working on. my project pictures show that i have worked on the bike for the 2 past weeks. i was wondering what i should check on the bike before running it, because it has been stored for a little over a year now. I also need a rear tire that is a best quality possible, i rather be safe then saving money.. P.S thank fr reading and if you have any answers, i`ll be glad to read them thx
Adam

Name:  P4090069.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  217.4 KB

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...d/P5070125.jpg

Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome. I would clean the carberators... Change all fluid....new spark plugs... Test battery and hook it to a tender....

Perform basic maintenance.

Get a set of Q2......you won't be disappointed....

Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 AM
February 2012 ROTM

+1...if you are new rider...take the MSF course...invest in gears and make it a habit to wear them...be safe riding....

Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 AM

nice !! so far ive put a brand new batterie. and what are Q2?? I will also definatly by riding gear cause my track gear is way to hot to use on long rides, i would also like to know where i can by them on sale or full price it don`t really matter...

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 AM

Here is what I've done in mine since I bought it:
Clean Carbs;
Check valve clearance;
Once you are there can check also the thermostat;
Clean brake calipers, including pistons (need to fully disassemble them);
Re-lube all pivots (levers);

If you don't want to be so meticulous, you might get away with just a carb clean without removing them from the engine. Just open the float bowls and clean the jets and float chamber.
But you should really change fluids as already said, coolant, oil, oil filter and brake fluid.

Ah..and don't forget to completly drain fuel tank of old fuel,drain float bowls, get the fuel pump to pump out a bit of fresh fuel before you reconnect it to carbs, so that some rest of old fuel might get out.

Appart from the gear, mirrors also increase safety on road. Personally can't ride without them on the street.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

theres a guy on cl near me who is selling 2 sets of Q2s for $120 /set with 75% tread left. think it would be worth checkin out? I would also adjust your suspension to the stock settings, mine was set for a 115 lb chick before me.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 PM

ya for sure it would be a nice option for me to get the Q2. it would help me out since im not to sure what to buy. im just wondering, i live in quebec. so i wonder how hard it would be to ship them. andhow much could it cost me in all? And thanks for the advice on the suspension ill be looking forward to setting it back to stock, because its kinda a little soft i guess.
I also check out your bike, nice ride man that machine is nice =D
thanks for the info guys and and thanks piresito for the advice on tuning my bike. i have the service manual and i`ll be checking into taking it apart to set it up right..
Adam

Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Hey, check out eBay too...some top rated sellers will ship free.....Dunlop Q2 are nice but there are many great tires out there...Michelin, Metzlers, Bridgestones, and i heard that Yokohama's acquired company Shinko 009 are great quality because using their material composition....just keep an eye out for great deals online via freeshipping...good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM

sounds good, and ill keep you guys up to post =D thank to every one for the hints. i'm out there working on my bike right now =D... thx again
Adam

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Hey take pics to document your build...something to show off when you finish....

Quick Reply: Please help me im new owner and rider