CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Piecing together used fairings....questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piecing together used fairings....questions

Hello,

About a year ago I bought my 2000 F4 from a buddy of mine who put it down, which cracked the left fairing in half and chipped off part of the front fairing. I didn't put any effort into fixing it cause this was my first season and I didn't want to put money into cosmetics. A few nights ago I bought some very used OEM yellow/black fairings off of some guy that inherited them from a delinquent renter. They aren't as good as they looked in the dark when I bought them but they are better than the zip tied one I currently have. So I have a few questions about these fairings.

1. The fairing is painted black with decals making up the yellow portion. You can see the yellow stripes wrap around to the back 1/4" which to me looks like sloppy work. Does this mean these redone using one of those decal kits like on replicals.com?

2. My bike is orange and I'd like to repaint everything to the factory orange/black paint scheme. Do most people use those decals and then match the rest of the paint color to that decal or are there painting templates people use?

3. I have to repair a few cracks in the new fairing. What's the best way to patch up the plastic without it compromising the final appearance once painted?

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBike
1. The fairing is painted black with decals making up the yellow portion. You can see the yellow stripes wrap around to the back 1/4" which to me looks like sloppy work. Does this mean these redone using one of those decal kits like on replicals.com?
That's how the oem decals are originally...edges/ends wrapped to backside of fairing b/f terminating.

...2. My bike is orange and I'd like to repaint everything to the factory orange/black paint scheme. Do most people use those decals and then match the rest of the paint color to that decal or are there painting templates people use?
For color match, go to Motorcycle Paint - ColorRite. They'll have the factory Honda paint. Then, get the factory decals or suitable quality replica delcals, like from Replicals.com - Your #1 Source for Aftermarket Motorcycle Decals - Your #1 Source for Aftermarket Motorcycle Decals, etc.

3. I have to repair a few cracks in the new fairing. What's the best way to patch up the plastic without it compromising the final appearance once painted?
Plastic weld to repair breaks or heavy cracks, sand, primer, & paint.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're the man! Thanks. That clears up everything for me.