CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

oil everywhere!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil everywhere!!!!

ok, so i have a myself a problem.. i went on a 70 mile ride to go pick up a few things today, and when i got to my destination, i could smell burnt oil. well, it was all over my exhaust. i inspected everything the best i could while i was at my stop, and couldnt find any major leaks or anything, and my oil level was still fine. so i rode home, stopping every 10 miles to check the oil level. once i got home i tore the tank off right away, to find that the lower portion of the motor is soaked in oil, but the upper half is dry. i pulled off the side fairings, sprayed the motor down with brake cleaner and wiped it all off. fired the bike back up, and ran it at about 6k rpms till it started to sputter due to the tank being off. no more oil! anyone have any ideas?? i did notice that the bolt that is supposed to go on end of the cct is missing.. and there was a little oil on the end of that.. would oil pour out of that if the bolt is missing?? i cant see any other places where it would be leaking.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would do it. The cct is a direct line into the upper-case. I wouldn't run it till you
get the cct repaired, as your cam-chain probably isn't being properly tensioned and it
could jump timing. That would be "very bad", possibly leading to bent valves and
really expensive repairs. Replacing the cct is a relatively minor/inexpensive repair.

Do NOT ignore this, do NOT run the bike (even momentarily) until you address this.

There are several good threads on CCT replacement/repair, check them out and then
get back to with any further questions.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM

yea, i odered a new cct last week, and it was supposed to be in today, which is what i was going to pick up... but they ordered the cam chain guid insead of the cct... i did not know the bolt on the end was that important. figured it was just a cover to keep dirt out of it. i lost it when i pulled it off a couple days ago to check if the cct was loose.. funny it didnt leak till today, as i didnt see any oil last night when i changed out the spark plugs. i guess i dont understand how that end cap bolt being out could cause oil to leak since its always dry when i take it off. maybe i can find that bolt! otherwise, can i replace it with a different bolt temporarily?

Last edited by jurgs2007; 06-12-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my understanding, the bolt goes thru into the case and pushes on a follower that
maintains tension on the cam-chain. Without the bolt, you basically have an open hole
into the upper crank-case.

Also, without the bolt applying tension to the chain it will be able to expand/flare out
when the rpm goes up and possibly flip off the cams and definitley begin grinding on
the inside of the cases, in the channel where the chain runs.

Can't tell you more positively than that, because I've never had to "hands on" a CCT before.

Ern

Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM

oh. no, the bolt im talking about is just a cap. on the end of it. the threads on it are only about maybe a half inch long, if that. the tensioner parts inside it were all still there. but i got a new bolt that matched up to what the old one was and put it in there and theres no more oil leak. so im guessing that the oil was coming out around the spring thats inside the tensioner.