CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Not sure what the problem could be... Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what the problem could be... Need opinions

Well to begin I purchased a 2000 F4 for $500.00. It had a slight laydown on the stator cover, but nothing that looks very harmful. Besides thats justa slightly cracked front fairing. But anyway, I road the bike home and didnt seem to have any issues. I parked the bike and purchased the F4I rear end and installed it, but I forgot to atach the rectifier to the subframe so it just sat under the seating. I also installed a 100w motorcycle amp and speakers. I road the bike up the street to a local autozone and everything seemd fine. I road it maybe a mile further to a friends house and parked it, He wasnt home so I hoped back on and starte the bike. It wasnt running as strong, plus it backfired. (oh crap) well as I road home it didnt seem to have the power as when I first road it. As I came to stop light the bike wanted to die as I gave it some throttle and eased off the clutch. I finnaly got home and took ou the bat and placed it on a trickle. the bat is a brand new Yuasa.

Thinking the 100w amp could have been draining my bat, I removed it and still like a dummy didn't re-attach the rectifier back to the subframe. I road it again and once again it ran like a champ. But it started doing hte same thing again. No back fires, but it did try to die out at dead stops. I finnaly got to my destination and parked the bike. I run in and come back out. I hit the starter and click click click.. Lights dim and Im like crap.

Well im like oh well I figure what to do so I run in the resturant and talk to people and then go back out side after about 20 min. The bike starts up with no problem.. Like a champ. Im like what the... So I turn it off, and go back in to eat. about 30 min later I go back out and start the bike and head home. again it does exactly the same thing. It tries to die out like if the bat wasnt charging or something...

I finnaly get home and park the bike. I run in to opne garage and then try to start bike again.. click click click.... So I push it into garage.

I wondering a few things that I noticed as a nerd and mild motorcycle mechanic.

1. I noticed that there was some sort of goop on teh back of the rectifier. Im thinking that this is for heat and that the heat the rectifier puts out when properly attached to the sub-frame passes from the rec and into the subframe.

2. I wondered if there was a bad connection with any of the leads. the bat is brand new, but the old bat that was on there was so old that when I finnaly got the leads off, it broke the bat connecters.

3. I;ve been reading other posts such as https://cbrforum.com/m_383597/tm.htm, and I see how to test the bat and rec.

Can anyone throw me some ideas. I am also including pics for people to see the bike when I first bought and how it looks now..

Thanks guys