CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

newb need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:46 PM
Default newb need help

hi, i am looking into getting a bike, and i saw a 1999 Honda CBR 600 and i was wondering if thay year had a rr or not and what would be the differences in them. also i was wondering performance specs, i know it depends on the rider but i just wanted to get a idea of what the bike can do. here is a pic of the bike http://img.ziply.com/img/us/image/640m-480m/52271.jpg
also i was wonder what are good sites to look for bikes on, is there like a auto trader but for bikes?
thanks

Old 07-27-2006 | 12:18 AM
Default RE: newb need help

In 1999 the only CBR is the F4. This is a great entry bike and is fun to ride. Is the F4 the fastest bike out there? Not by far, but it may the one of the most fun to ride. Honda is know for its great bikes and the F4 is no different. The F4 has great power and flickability. And one of the best features is that it does not kill you to ride it for long periods of time. Right now I am spending more time on my F4 than any other bike because I think it is the best all around bike I own.

Buying an older bike is a little tricky though. There are more years of wear on the motor and more chances the maintenance might not be on pair. Just look carefully at the bike before you buy it. Ask for maintenance records. And take someone with you that knows about bikes. When I was shopping for my first one I had a friend that saved me from buying a couple of bad bikes becasue he was able to look past my excitment and see that the was something wrong with a few the bikes.

Do a search for different forums in your area. Example...in Kansas City, MO we have a forum kcsportbikes.com . Here all sport bike are welcome and there is a classified section that offers a little bit of everything. I am guessing several other cities have the same thing. Also look on cycletrader.com it is auto trader for bikes.

Hope this helps a little.....if you find agood F4 and decide to buy it, you will not be sorry.

Old 07-27-2006 | 12:36 AM

here are the specs for an all stock 1999 F4 SPECS
as for a site like auto trader you might want to try www.cycletrader.com or search eBay and look for something with in a distance you willing to drive. and also the best place is the classifieds in you paper.

Old 07-27-2006 | 02:39 PM

I found my bike on Craigslist... that site once again is....

http://www.craigslist.com

I think craigslist is much better than Cycletrader, there are so many lemons in cycletrader, but beware, there are alot of stolen bikes on craigslist, its a trade off.

Old 07-28-2006 | 01:30 AM

yea i have ben looken on craigs list but i cant find money cbrs or 600cc bikes, what are some good begiginer bikes that dont cost to much

Old 07-28-2006 | 04:43 AM

I bought a 00 f4 for my first bike too.. at the beginning of this season. I must say it is a very good bike for a first bike.. ITs got power but not crazy twitchy and the ride comfort is amazing.. i ride a few of my friends bikes and man i know what ppl mean when u say you can ride the cbr for a long time!
Even the seat I got the ugly banana seat but its so comfortable compared to other seats

good luck

Old 07-28-2006 | 02:24 PM

I wouldn't consider the bananna seat ugly, it's unique, like a exotic supermodel

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:31 PM

eh i dont know if i can afford a 600 looken at the prices. what are some good bikes for 3500 and under. or could i find a 600 for that much? how long do they ussauly last around mile wise?

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:53 PM

I got my 2000 600 F4 for $2500....just takes time, normally you cant go out and buy a bike this cheap the first week you are looking. Try talking to other people that ride bikes also, they normally know people that are selling them, thats how I found mine

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:11 AM

Yup - good point on people with bikes... many people with shiny new bikes have a bike for sale...

F4 is a damn comfortable bike. Not the worst beginner bike out there - but certiainly it requires respect and a bit of common sense. If it is your first bike spend some money on gear. This bike has more than enough power to get away from you.

F4 has:
- comfort
- touring is actually possible
- relatively good parts availability and online presence
- may not be todays super sport, but it sure hauls... not many cars on the road will come close to it... and any car that would is going to cost AT LEAST 10 times as much as your bike did.
- good gas tank size
- passenger is possible
- it's trackable

Quick Reply: newb need help