CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New guy -- bike stopped running and won't start up now

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy -- bike stopped running and won't start up now

I'm a newb to the bike world. I have a 2000 CBR 600 F4 and I just recently had the bike overheat and got it fixed at the Honda dealer. They said everything was fine and there was no problem, just that the fuse for the fan blew.

Here's my new problem -- I just had them drain the gas tank and I transported my bike from Michigan to Florida. I've had this bike for 2 weeks now and havn't even driven it for more than 30 minutes at a time and only drove it maybe 8 times. The bike has just short of 25,000 miles on it.

There was a hurricane coming and I wanted to store the bike in my cousins garage here and I got half way there (5 mile trip) and at a light the bike just shut off and won't start back up!

When I try to start it up again it at 1st was started and then dying and now it won't even start -

I don't think it could have been gas and oil because when I got the bike worked on they checked everything and changed the oil and they even said it was good to go.

ANY IDEAS?

Old 10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Default RE: New guy -- bike stopped running and won't start up now

I was thinking it had to do with leaving your tank completely drained for 2 weeks it might cause mild oxidization inside the tank and particles can dirty your engine... you should always leave gas in with a fuel stabalizer if needed. Otherwise rusting will occur inside the tank.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:16 AM

Well the only thing is I only had the gas drained for about 3-4 days. I'm totally lost -- My cousin was thinking that maybe the fuel pump went out. Could that be it, or is there other more likely things that could have gone wrong?

Old 10-24-2005, 02:31 AM

Have you checked on the battery?

Try trickle charging the battery...

Have you tried checking for spark...?

Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Muz

Have you made sure the fuel is turned on. Its hard to see/get at the switch which is under the tank

Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 AM

1. Is it turning over? I assume it is.
2. Check the fuel valve under the tank...it sticks out from underneath the tank.
3. Even though you drained the tank, you still had fuel sitting in your carbs. This gas could have went bad and fouled the carbs. Usually you can put fresh gas in, and run the bike for a while and everything will be OK. Worst case, you have to pull the carbs off and clean them out. It is not a hard job if you have a service manual (you should have one anyway www.helminc.com ). Let it sit for a day, put in fresh gas and see if it will start. You might have to hold the throttle wide open if it is not starting.
4. You might check the plugs if it is still not starting.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:13 PM

I don't think it's the carbs because when I had it in the shop the day before they took the gas out, they cleaned out the carbs for me and did a whole bunch of other maintenance on it.

I couldn't find the switch for the gas tank -- they might have shut it off for me and I was running on nothing, but I can't see how that could be because when I put it in the uhaul the bike barely ran, it was that low on gas and if I never turned the switch back on how could I have ridden the bike the last couple of days here with no problems.....

Thank you guys so far for helping me find the answer to this -- I'll check the gas switch again and see if it's on or off -- anything else it could be?

Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Have you checked on the battery?

Old 10-24-2005, 10:48 PM

Hey guys, I don't know if it's fixed but I just got it running for about 20 minutes tonight before I put it back in the garage and put it on a trickle charger.

They shop that worked on the bike told me to pull the tank up and make sure that the gas lines were pinched when they put it back together. I did that and didn't see anything. I bought a trickle charger and some fuel cleaner stuff from a local Honda dealer today. They guy there said that it might have something stuck in the fuel line or that I could have gotten a bad batch of gas.

Anyways, I put the fuel cleaner and 2 more gallons of fuel in it and made sure no wires were being pinched as I cleaner the bike. I also cleaned all the gunk from around the kick stand just in case something was wrong there and we were able to push start the bike after a few tries, so we kept driving it for a while to get the fuel cleaner through the lines etc....

I'll keep you all up to date tomorrow to let you know if it's still running.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:45 AM

If the trickle charger is working ... maybe y our battery just cant hold any charge. try a battery replacement.

Quick Reply: New guy -- bike stopped running and won't start up now