CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New engine sound

1999 600F4 w/ <19k miles.

I started my bike up and there is a new noise that Im not too happy about. I think its an engine knock or what ever its called. Haven't cracked into my manual yet, gonna do that tonight. What gets me is I haven't touched the engine besides installing PAIR Valve Block-Off Plates, Would that cause a knock? The bike has been on stands for a month and I stored it right, When I put it away it was running really strong and healthy.

The sound is coming from the cylinder head between the spark plugs and radiator. <--- Which leads me to believe its a knock. Do you guys agree? and what would cause that? Would the block-off plates really cause a knock. I took 2 videos (mainly for the sound) with my phone so you guys could help diagnose. I also plan on talking with a mechanic to see what he thinks it is. Thanks in advance.

New engine noise - YouTube

http://youtu.be/4sY6-Qi0Lkk

Last edited by CJardine; 03-04-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Adding videos
Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Hmmm Im using the right gas, I run seafoam ever 3 - 5 tanks so carbon build up in the combustion chamber is unlikely, I guess Ill pull the plugs tomorrow to see what they say. Hopefully its not piston slap or valve clearance. I have a medical stethoscope will that work as a replacement for the mechanics one? I talked to a mechanic and they want me to bring Abby in for a check-up but I don't have a trailer

Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 PM

sounds like an exaust leak but its hard to tell on a phone video i would feel around up front with it running just try not to get burnt

Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Thanks for the response polish.

Anywho, I pulled the plugs and they are slightly carbon fouled but not too much to cause a knock or even concern. I grabbed a hose and stuck it to my ear and combed the engine trying to locate the exact source of the noise. Its coming from the pair valves and the spark plugs, each individual plug. Tomorrow I'm going to reinstall the OEM Pair valve cover and use pipes /hoses to see if that fixes the problem. I don't think its the gas but Im gonna grab a fresh gallon because thats an easy fix.

Oh and I replaced the spark plugs to see if that helped. They did but didn't resolve the problem.

Plug 1

Plug 2

Plug 3

Plug 4

So heres a Video, I tried to capture the sound better. Unfortunately I do not have a better way to isolate the sound. I'm open to ideas on recording it.

So for an explanation of the video. Do not mind the video portion, I was only going for the audio. I was using a hose to try and isolate the sound, I started out with the business end of the hose butted up between the PAIR valve and the #4 spark plug. You can hear the change in the audio and that is me repositioning to the #3 plug and so on. I get that diesel engine sound between the spark plugs and PAIR valves.

Any Ideas on an exhaust leak fix? replace the header and the cylinder head gaskets?

http://youtu.be/AuteBnOOdCg

Last edited by CJardine; 03-05-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Holy cr*p triple post. sorry

Last edited by CJardine; 03-05-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Im an idiot
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Last edited by CJardine; 03-05-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Im an idiot
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
you sir fail.... lol.... lol to me it sounds like an exhaust leak. while the bike was sitting during the break you never went out side and showed it some starting/running love? you have replacement gaskets you put in on the exhaust headers.... does the exhaust feel loose if you touch/move them? try and re tighting the bolts and see what happens

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Oh I showed it love love So today I fixed the issue but Im not sure exactly what was wrong. I started with replacing the gas, didn't fix it. So I moved to reinstalling the direct air induction system, nada nothing. Moved onto the next thing I changed. I reinstalled the OEM pair valve covers and connected them together with spare crankcase hose and bam Abby's back to purring but with a new growl! An unrestricted, free flowing and happy growl not often herd on California streets. I'm really happy that I fixed it but pissed that I have these block-off plates that are supposed to work but they don't do their job.

When I took off the plates I noticed that there was damage to them where the screws for the Actual PAIR valve is. The instructions that came with the plates said to leave the valve in and just attach the plates. That was not working so I'm thinking I need to remove the physical valve because either the screw is warping the plates and causing an exhaust leak like you guys were mentioning, or the valves are malfunctioning some other way. So on wednesday Ill remove the valves and give that a go. What do you guys think, is that safe for the engine?

Here is a couple of photos of the plates damage.

Last edited by CJardine; 03-05-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Oh I showed it love love So today I fixed the issue but Im not sure exactly what was wrong. I started with replacing the gas, didn't fix it. So I moved to reinstalling the direct air induction system, nada nothing. Moved onto the next thing I changed. I reinstalled the OEM pair valve covers and connected them together with spare crankcase hose and bam Abby's back to purring but with a new growl! An unrestricted, free flowing and happy growl not often herd on California streets. I'm really happy that I fixed it but pissed that I have these block-off plates that are supposed to work but they don't do their job.

When I took off the plates I noticed that there was damage to them where the screws for the Actual PAIR valve is. The instructions that came with the plates said to leave the valve in and just attach the plates. That was not working so I'm thinking I need to remove the physical valve because either the screw is warping the plates and causing an exhaust leak like you guys were mentioning, or the valves are malfunctioning some other way. So on wednesday Ill remove the valves and give that a go. What do you guys think, is that safe for the engine?

Here is a couple of photos of the plates damage.

I never used them block off plates in mine.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Yea if they keep giving me trouble they will be going on eBay. It was nice because I had almost unrestricted access.

Quick Reply: New engine sound