CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

new bike needs tlc.. got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new bike needs tlc.. got a few questions

i just bought a 2000 cbr f4 with d&d exhaust bright yellow 21,000 miles.. been rashed up a few times but nothing some duraglass and new paint can't fix..its been abused i love it have been riding it everyday its nice.. but its starting to seem like a death trap..
bad new:
fork seals are out

chain was loose i tightened it but noticed a few tight spots so i set the slack in the tight spot and lubed it.. now it makes an awful noise every few seconds..

and integrated tail light isnt wired right..

so the question is what to buy for chain and sprockets what brand? 525? 520? im no racer or stunter.. a little more get up and go would be nice but my biggest concern with going to a 520, is the life of the chain and sprockets.. ive done my homework but there is no where that tells me how many miles they will last..

the tail light works.. kinda..

with no blinker on and i hit the back brake the bright white light that im assuming is suppose to light up the license plate comes on.. with turn signal on the half thats blinking turns red.. front brake nothing works.. can you start to see why its starting to seem like a death trap..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM
July 2010 ROTM

my 520 rkxso came with a 20000 mile warranty, i think either way youll get quite a few miles

Old 05-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Sounds like your chain is stretched unevenly causing it to be tight in spots and loose in others. I wouldn't worry about converting to a 520 as much as just changing the gearing a little bit. Just go up a couple teeth in the back and it will feel like a completely new bike. As for the wiring sounds like someone hacked it up good there should be wiring schematics out there some where.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM

have a vortex 520, about 15,000 miles on it and is going to need replaced but think i can get 1 more season out of it safely. thing is when i first got it i used the master link with the c-clip, which i put on in the right direction of chain travel, it kept popping off so eventually it took to the dealer and had the master link rivited on.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM

i ordered a stealth d.i.d. kit from sprocketcenter.com i went with 16/47 on gearing.. as far as that tail light goes i need that fixed asap.. i took it to my local dealership and they told me i could leave it there and they'd get to it in 3-4 weeks.. and wouldnt give me the wiring diagram or tell me whats what.. ive been looking on the net but the internet is so full of worthless ****..

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM

I think in the how to's there was a make your own integrated tailight for f4's and f4i's a while back. It had some diagrams and good instructions from what I recall.

Is this an after market or self made integrated tail light?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Here it is...I dont know if it will help but you can give it a read through.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/integrated-tail-make-one-yourself-12-a-84433/

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM

sorry it took so long to reply... its an aftermarket.. im pretty sure the light is messed up itself just been driving the way it is..

all im suppose to have coming from the harness off the bike is?.... two clips with green black green/yellowstripe, and a blue orange and white clip ... a yellow and a blue wire from the light, go into the orange and blue clips on the hot side..

wired this way i have amber tail lights and turn signals.. but when i switch those yellow and blue wires from the light onto the ground side of those orange and blue clips.. i get nothing and no signals but the brake light works..

if i should just get a new tail light any suggestions on something quality????

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 AM
July 2010 ROTM

i got a smoked integrated one i could get u, shoot me a pm and i can try to help u with wiring and/or get u this one.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM

i had problems wiring my integrated light when i purchased it. i had to play with the wires going back and forth trying different wire connections until i got it try playing around with all the wire connections and when u get it right put some tape/shrink wrap on it.

Quick Reply: new bike needs tlc.. got a few questions