CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Need new Tires, Michelin or Dunlop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new Tires, Michelin or Dunlop?

So I need new tires for my 2000 Honda CBR600F4 bike. I have gotten an estimate from a local deal for as low as $340, with installation and recycle fees and all for Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs.
Seems like most people like these tires. Has anyone heard of Dunop 22s? A few dealers were trying to convince me to buy those instead.

Also, do you guys recommend me going to the dealer at the price i stated above, or should i buy it from a site like http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com and then take it to a shop to get them installed? I guess I would save a few bucks more that way. Another thing the dealer warned me about when ordering online is the date the tire was made. He said he orders his when a customer needs it so the rubber is soft and ready to last a while. He said when you order online, you never know if the tire is much older, hence a harder compound. Not sure if this is true, which is why I am asking here.

So any advice on which tire, and where I should buy it from?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Id shy away from "local" businesses, thats definately not where your going to find the best price bro. I can get Pilot Powers or Power Ones for $209 shipped a pair online. Have them mounted locally for $50. Online your going to get a better price. They are both great tire manufactures.Either one, youll be happy.
http://www.compacc.com/p/Michelin-Pi...ckage-Specials

Last edited by OutlawF4; 11-23-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Default Power Pilots

I just had new Michelin Power Pilots put on my 01 600 f4i for $280 and then had to pay $2.50 per tire for disposal. I've only had them on for 2 days and couldn't be happier. I'm new to bikes, but I had a set of Diablos on the bike when I got it (granted they were pretty beat up) and these Pilots ride alot better than the old set. I asked about alot of tires as well, and the guys at the shop (who are big into racing) insisted that the Power Pilots will give you the most bang for your buck.

Last edited by chefphil2; 11-24-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Michelin

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone heard a rumor they're planning to discontinue the pilot 2cts and replace them with the power pure?

I vaguely remember hearing something like that and its holding my decision on which to shop for next season.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

trmoney24,
I wouldn't pay $340 for a pair of tires. There are just too many other less expensive options out there. Motorcycle Superstore, Sportbike Track Gear, CycleGear, etc, have much better deals on tires - even w/ shipping.

Example: The last pair of tires I bought from CycleGear during one of their sales (Dunlop Q2s) for $209...that was for the pair. I also had CycleGear mount & balance them for $20 per wheel. So you can see the cost difference from what you were quoted.

Now, that assumes one can take off their own wheels to take them to get the tires put on.

Keep in mind that many shops will not mount tires if they didn't sell them to you...or if they do, they charge a higher fee. No worries...find yourself a local tire guy that will mount/balance your tires & stick w/ him.

Question is: What type of riding are you going to be doing? There are tires designed more for twisties like the Michelin Pilot Power & Dunlop Q2. Then there are tires more designed for sport-touring & commuting like the Michelin Pilot Road & Dunlop Roadsmart.

Do some reading on the forum about tires. There are many good recent threads on various brands & models.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Had pilots on my old bike and dunlops. I will say I like the pilots a lot better felt really sticky when hot and Awsome when it rained. As for the dunlops they didn't last as long and didn't feels as confidant on them.

+111111111 for pilots.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 AM

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my CBR and VFR. Michelin are the best tires period. Pilot, Pilot 2, Pilot Pure they are all great but it depends what type of riding your doing to get the right tire. Do you want sticky or mileage, do you ride the twisties or on the highway. Stay away from the dealer, buy on line and have a local shop mount and balance them. Don't worry about the tires being old because only the Pilot road is old enough to be 4 years old. The others are pretty new, they sell like hotcakes so you won't be getting old stock. My best advice is stay away from anything with Dunlop on the sidewall, flame suit on.
Tom

Old 11-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin

I run a Michelin Road 2 on the rear and currently have a Pilot Power on the front that will be replaced with a Road 2. I don't have a car and use the bike for everything (so including commuting). The Front (Pilot Power) only lasted for around 7 k miles (squared off). The rear looks untouched! I ride hard and lean (no track days) and really like the Road 2's.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM

I run Q2's on both my CBR and my wifes GSXR we both love them. Here is a good review for them.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/609/Mo...ct-Review.aspx

Quick Reply: Need new Tires, Michelin or Dunlop?