CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

naked F4 HESITATES!! Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default naked F4 HESITATES!! Help.

Hey, are there any F4 naked bike owners out there? I just took off all my fairings and put on a stunt headlight. I kept the plastic air intake inlets in, but cut them in half (so they don't stick out too much). The bike started running like crap. BARELY accelerates. I'm thinking it's because there's no restriction now (intake wise). Has anyone had the same problem?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: naked F4 HESITATES!! Help.

nah thats not the problem. Ive ran mine for 30k without plastics. more likely something electrical. check the connections that you modified for the new headlight.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: jonld

nah thats not the problem. Ive ran mine for 30k without plastics. more likely something electrical. check the connections that you modified for the new headlight.
Hey, thanks. Someone told me that if you unplug your speedometer, the bike runs like that... that's very weird. I ran it unplugged that time, so I'm guessing that's the issue... it just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Acingteam

ORIGINAL: jonld

Hey, thanks. Someone told me that if you unplug your speedometer, the bike runs like that... that's very weird. I ran it unplugged that time, so I'm guessing that's the issue... it just doesn't make sense to me.
And the dude is full of crap too.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 PM

i had the same problem when i took my fairings off. i couldn't even get the bike started w/out the intake plastics. as soon as i put them back on it ran like a trooper. but i have seen a kawasaki w/ them chopped in half and it looked and ran well

Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM

simply taking plastics off and the bike running like crap defies all logical explanation. mine's naked right now...no lights or even a cluster but runs awesome, there's gotta be something else causing this. not just plastics.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Aweasel

simply taking plastics off and the bike running like crap defies all logical explanation. mine's naked right now...no lights or even a cluster but runs awesome, there's gotta be something else causing this. not just plastics.
Definitely - mine ran fine without that stuff when I was getting it running.

And the intake thing is also a non-issue. These things don't operate with a MAF which requires turbulent airflow like many cars. Whether or not there is an intake doesn't matter.

Look for obvious things like vacuum lines that accidentally got knocked off, possible pinched hoses, etc.... There are several vacuum and recirc hoses that flow in and out of the airbox that you possibly could have knocked off. There is a schematic in the owner's manual which is available as a download in one of the sticky threads in the HOW TO section - I would start there. I would be glad to email it to you but it is 90+MB.

Also - make sure you didn't knock off any of your coils on the sparkplugs - might want to give all of those a twist/harness cleaningto make sure that it isn't missing on one cylinder.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks a lot guys, I'll look into it deeper now... ahhh. It's just I haven't had anything but bad luck with this bike, one thing goes after another. I literally had no time to ride this season... always fixing something. And I don't think it's something as serious as coils on sparkplugs, since all I did was remove the fairings... this bike is very touchy!!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM

REALLY weird. I plugged the speedometer back in and it runs like new again!! I have no idea what the problem was, but it seemed to go away... I just hope it wasn't too serious, because the speedometer not being hooked up still doesn't settle in my head.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Acingteam

REALLY weird. I plugged the speedometer back in and it runs like new again!! I have no idea what the problem was, but it seemed to go away... I just hope it wasn't too serious, because the speedometer not being hooked up still doesn't settle in my head.
I dont buy it because I unplug mine for trackdays and mine still runs.

Quick Reply: naked F4 HESITATES!! Help.