CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

My heart shattered today....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My heart shattered today....

My heart shattered today when i got a phone call from the guy working on my bike, while he was doing a valve lash he noticed symptoms of my engine having oil starvation ( from the previous owner ), he lifted the cover off of the head to see two of the cam bolts a little loose and to see gouges on both cams and the recesses they sit in on the one side of the engine....

needless to say, i'm crushed, looks like i will most likelybe selling the bike andputting my gear away, although i admit, i dont know a ton about bike's but how severe does the damage look?, i figured it was possible to buff or polish the area's but apparently that is not even a possibility....

Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Default RE: My heart shattered today....

So... it was running before this? If so, ride that girl til she blows and save your money for a new or used engine.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM

you think so?...

yeah it ran perfectly fine since last june, now that this guy has had it opened and looked at, he's saying i'm lucky if i get another 2000km's out of the thing....

kind of upsets me, i sincerely hope he didnt "sabotage" it any further though, there would have been no reason for it to crater, it ran perfectly fine, no engine noises.... nothing....

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Hell yeah. Run that biotch out and pick up a new motor "if" it blows. Remember, even mechanics can be wrong. It's a honda. Keep the oil levels where they should be, don't be redlining, and keep going. Price out some used motors just in case.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 PM

a shop here is selling an engine for $1000, i just dont have the funds to be replacing the engine right now, plus an apparent $700 to have it installed by this guy....

so your saying i should NOT redline the bike?, isnt owning a bike all about running to the red?... lol....

Old 03-07-2008, 01:31 AM

Install the engine yourself. Its not that hard. I replace engines on army tanks and other vehicles so a bike engine is easy. Get you a manual and study up.Get you some tools or find a rent-a- garage where there is someone there to help. Buy your new engine, drop the old one out, put them side by side and swap over all the parts. Then jack that baby up into your frame and go from there. Trust me it not that hard. If I lived close I would help you so I am sure you know someone that can help you. Or call your local community college or tech school, high school and see if they will take it for a class project.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 AM

They are both right rid eit till it goes boom and then worry about fixing it. Make sure it has oil for now and ride it. get some prices on new motors and after it goes then work on it.

Dude he is right do not pay anyone 700 hundo to put in a motor for you. you ride and I know if you ask around someone you ride with will help you do the work for some beer and a pizza.
We all ride and love to ride I know in Chicago I can count on 10 guys that know as much and more they I do and we all help each other out.

Find the parts when needed and have a garage night you will get it fixed and learn about your ride at the same time.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 AM

700 hundred is WAY too much. 1000 for that motor seems high too. Find some friends with tools and get some pizza and beer if she blows up. And yes, don't go to redline on a motor you know has a problem. You could cut her lifespan.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 AM

I have seen some low mileage F4 engines on Ebay for like $600.00. $700.00 is to much to R&R a bike engine. Shop around till you find a good deal or buy a wrecked/running F4 and swap the engine and any other good part you may need.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Hey. I might be able to get ya a used engine, i just gotta talk to a friend (he deals in used engines, usually out of salvaged bikes). Ill let ya know asap. As far as 700 labor, hell no. Maybe 700 for a complete overhall, but no way in hell. If you were close to MN I would do it for something around $150, depending on how many times a swear at the machine. Otherwise I will let ya know on the engine. Peace

Quick Reply: My heart shattered today....