CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

To much oil...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To much oil...

Bought my bike as a builder, its almost done, but when i bought it, it had about half a quart to much oil in it, first thing i did is notice it, and drained it to a normal level, it did puke a small amount into the air box, very small amount, like it misted in, filter isnt even dirty from it. I cleaned out the air box, it was wrecked, so i figured the intake tubes could have collected some debre's. it did, nuthing major, nuthing made it to the filter. Now it spits a little bit down low from time to time?? I do not know how old the gas is, or if its even 91, im not riding the bike yet, but i did take it down the road, and the clutch slips a little from 12-13 grand, could the extra oil have contaminated the clutch?

Just looking for thoughts, i plan on putting some new oil in tomorrow and new filter, and some new 91 gas

Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I Can't Sell Because I'm Hardheaded
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was it just standard motor oil used? I noticed my clutch started to slip when I used to use motoroil, now I use cycle oil w/ friction additives

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, stunters regularly run half a quart more oil to help lesson oil starvation during long wheelies. Clutch slipping is due to energy conserving oil being used or the clutch plates may just be worn out. It is an old bike. make sure your clutch cable is also routed properly and adjusted.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took the bike out today, and no clutch slip at all, also it was running alot better, im going to change the oil, using a semi-synthetic, then i will go to full syn, after a couple oil changes, sounds like the valves are due for a service, but its not bad, i just like a silent motor, the bike has 26,000 miles on it, the gearing is really different from my gsxr1000, the bike makes good power for a 600 tho, im suprised!!

I got some parts in, so i will take pics in a few min, and update the winter mod thread! the tail is red and the tank is yellow, and i was wearing a green hoodie, my g/f said i looked like a mexican flag... lmao