CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Minor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor problem

OK, I have an odd question. I fire off the bike and let it "warm up" before every ride. Weather has been in the low to mid 50's. Never had an issue lighting off, turn choke on, key on, and hit the start button and she fires instantly. Today I head out to the shop... Choke on, key on, touch the start button and BOOOOOM, an enormous backfire.... WTH??? Choke off touch start button and she cranks and tries to fire but to no avail. Choke again and BOOOOM again..... Simply my question is this, where do I go from here? I don't ride it hard, what has happened?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Wow wish I knew! Sounds like there might be a fuel clog/distribution prob such as in the lines or blockage somewhere. I'm just guessing but hey, you live in sedro and I'm in mount Vernon.. Maybe I can come help ya troubleshoot

This might be a long shot but, I had my carbs completely cleaned and synced 3 times due to the first two attempts made my F4 boom and shoot flames. Not sure why but I was told that they just had minuscule blockages in one of the jets..

Last edited by Sprock; 02-12-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you giving it throttle when you attempt start?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Are you giving it throttle when you attempt start?
No sir, even when it was 15* Choke on and it would fire with a touch of the start button. Just seems strange it backfired and would not start. Thinking it has to be something relatively simple. Still scratching my head.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Acespad3
Wow wish I knew! Sounds like there might be a fuel clog/distribution prob such as in the lines or blockage somewhere. I'm just guessing but hey, you live in sedro and I'm in mount Vernon.. Maybe I can come help ya troubleshoot

This might be a long shot but, I had my carbs completely cleaned and synced 3 times due to the first two attempts made my F4 boom and shoot flames. Not sure why but I was told that they just had minuscule blockages in one of the jets..
Hmmmm. May have to call Everett Powersport and find out what they charge to clean the carbs and re-sync. I'll pull the plastics first and drain the card and instal new plugs first, honestly don't know if it has ever had plugs done. Ran her a bit low on fuel too and that fuel was some from the previous owner. It did set for some time in a heated garage but.........

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Another set of eyes and ears might just be a good thing.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Stopped and picked up a battery tender today. Yarded out the battery to get full power. Was going to start yanking plastics today but have to work on the quads for an upcoming weekend ride. Shoot for Thursday plastic and plug removal.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Send me a pm and I'll come help ya if you want, I'm just a few mins away. I've had my carbs completely cleaned and dissembled 3 times to get it perfect.. Maybe we can do it once and get the job done

Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM

So after much thought and reading, I honestly don't think it's a carb issue. I'm now leaning on electrical and or timing. If I have time over the weekend I will be pulling fairings and reading the plugs. Test the trigger and check timing marks and vacuum lines. Time to do the trouble shooting and get this girl on the road.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Will also drain the carbs and check fuel in the bowls for water/contaminants.

Quick Reply: Minor problem