CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Which Michelin Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Michelin Tire?

Ive looked around on here and elsewhere and saw that a lot of riders like the michelin tires. Im looking to purchase new tires for my 2001 CBR 600 and wondered which Michelin tire everyone prefers....im not exactly sure the pros and cons of the few im looking at. The ones i have narrowed down to are the Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2CT, and the Pilot Road 2. What does everyone think?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 AM

I'm a Michelin fan!

The Pilot Power is great for street use and Sunday afternoon twisties, and is even good for beginner and slower intermediate level trackdays. I used to get around 4,000 miles on my street bike with 'em, depends on how aggressive I rode them. I've know folks who have squeezed 6,000 out of 'em.

The PP 2CT has a dual compound, the sides are sticker. If you are an aggressive twisty rider or faster intermediate level track day rider, spend a little more and get the 2CT (they're on sale right now, though, and are cheaper than the regular PPs at around $270 a set).

The Pilot Road 2 lasts longer and is the dual compound like the 2CT, but is a harder center and a harder carcass. It's great for commuting and the occasional twisty backroad. Better wet grip than the PP's. They last much longer; I've know folks that have gotten upwards of 9,000 miles on them.

IMHO, bottom Line:
Street, lots of freeway commuting, twisty canyon roads: PR 2CT
Street, twisty canyons, occasional trackday: PP
Street, twisty canyons, heavy trackdays: PP 2CT
Trackdays only: Power One

If you haven't looked, check out Sportbike Track Gear for the best prces around on Michelins. Free shipping on most.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by randyjoy
I'm a Michelin fan!

The Pilot Power is great for street use and Sunday afternoon twisties, and is even good for beginner and slower intermediate level trackdays. I used to get around 4,000 miles on my street bike with 'em, depends on how aggressive I rode them. I've know folks who have squeezed 6,000 out of 'em.

The PP 2CT has a dual compound, the sides are sticker. If you are an aggressive twisty rider or faster intermediate level track day rider, spend a little more and get the 2CT (they're on sale right now, though, and are cheaper than the regular PPs at around $270 a set).

The Pilot Road 2 lasts longer and is the dual compound like the 2CT, but is a harder center and a harder carcass. It's great for commuting and the occasional twisty backroad. Better wet grip than the PP's. They last much longer; I've know folks that have gotten upwards of 9,000 miles on them.

IMHO, bottom Line:
Street, lots of freeway commuting, twisty canyon roads: PR 2CT
Street, twisty canyons, occasional trackday: PP
Street, twisty canyons, heavy trackdays: PP 2CT
Trackdays only: Power One

If you haven't looked, check out Sportbike Track Gear for the best prces around on Michelins. Free shipping on most.
+1 I concur completely!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no expert (im super new to fast bikes) so ive been spending the last week here &there searching every forum etc... that my intrnet blundering led me to to see which tire was all around best for the mixed street occasional racer - and i think randyjoy wrapped it up well-(and i trust playfull gods advise already) i was looking at other brands as well and it seems just about unanimous that pilot powers are the best ALL-AROUND tire . if youre just touring / commuting then theres better choices & if youre track dedicated (then youd probly have favrite of your own anyway) then theres better trackONLY rubber.
and hey even if im really just gonna ride street (agressively on occation) ill probly pick powers so i can atleast look track-worthy to the folks who notice these things. haha

Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM

My bike is used for commuting and the occasional highway trip. It will not be used for racing or on the track. Would the recommended tire be the Pilot Roads then? Thanks for any and all info on these tires.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmutroy
My bike is used for commuting and the occasional highway trip. It will not be used for racing or on the track. Would the recommended tire be the Pilot Roads then? Thanks for any and all info on these tires.
you would be correct

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
you would be correct
Yup, cost a little more but last twice as long as the PP's.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 PM

thanks all. i ordered me a pilot road front tire for my bike today. The rear has a couple thousand miles left on it but I will replace it with the pilot road rear when it goes out if this tire is as good as advertised. I got it from motorcyclesuperstore.com for $110.00 shipped.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Well after looking I can't find the exact answer to my question. My front tire says it's a 120/70ZR17M/C and my rear says it's a 180/55ZR17MC. Now the tires I'm looking at are also from motorcyclesuperstore.com but the sizes say: 180/55ZR17K & 120/70ZR17 or 120/70ZR17D. Am I ok with any of these? My first time having to buy tires for a bike, so I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks for any info!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by papo020
Well after looking I can't find the exact answer to my question. My front tire says it's a 120/70ZR17M/C and my rear says it's a 180/55ZR17MC. Now the tires I'm looking at are also from motorcyclesuperstore.com but the sizes say: 180/55ZR17K & 120/70ZR17 or 120/70ZR17D. Am I ok with any of these? My first time having to buy tires for a bike, so I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks for any info!
Short answer: All the same.

What the numbers/codes actual mean: The extra letters/numbers are speed ratings, motorcycle use indicators, load, or abbreviations, etc. The 180/55ZR17 means it fits a 17" wheel, it's 180mm wide, and the 55 means the height is 55% of the width (in this case, 99mm). The Z is a speed rating (over 149 mph) and the R means radial construction. The letters at the very end, like MC means motorcycle, others, like B, E, K, F, or D are usually OEM indicators (for instance, the Michelin Pilot Road 2 18055ZR-17 B is what was manufactured for BMW and maybe others, but comes on a BMW K1200GT. Could be different tread patterns or specific makeup).

You can get some real long ones, too. The OEM for a 2006 R1 is "Dunlop 190/50ZR17MC 73W D", which is 190mm width, 50% of 190mm height, Z speed rating (over 149 mph), motorcycle, 805 pounds max load (code 73), additional "W" means up to 168 mph, D is the OEM version by Dunlop specific for the R1.

Last edited by randyjoy; 02-22-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Michelin Tire?