CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Master Cylinder????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012 | 08:17 PM
|
Track junkie & modaholic
Default Master Cylinder????

Sooo Ive got a question. Would a master cylinder off a 07-11 600rr fit a F4? If you guys don't know, than do you know how I could find out if it would fit. Also what about 600rr brakes?? Are they compatible with F4 rotors or would I have to swap out the rotors /wheels? If I use the F4 brakes and replace the lines with SS ones are the fittings the same on the rr and f4? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2012 | 11:48 PM
Avi

first thing first, any MC will fit any bike considering 2 things. One, the MC has to fit the clip on, but these are usually standard. the second, it has to operate the same area of pistons. meaning, if one bike has 2 calipers of 6 pistons, 1 inch across, and you use it for a bike with half the number or area of pistons (say, only one caliper) the brakes will be very touchy. the other way around you won't have enough braking power.
saying that, I don't know the brakes configuration of the RR, but I figure it can't be much more than the F4.
HOWEVER, I am quite positive the calipers don't fit the forks.

Last, for the banjo bolts (fittings on the brake line) these are standard on (almost) all bikes.

Old 01-12-2012 | 01:04 AM
|
Track junkie & modaholic

Sweet thanks I'm pullin some measurement from my f4 tomorrow but thanks for the info on the MCs. From what I've gathered from google and you is that axial and radial will not affect fitment just braking feel and price tag; I need a MC that fits on a 7/8ths clip-on; it can come from any bike, the banjo bolts and fittings are almost universal and the attachment points on the 600rr calipers wont fit the points on the F4 forks. Is that right so far? Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-12-2012 | 02:37 PM
Avi

Originally Posted by CJardine
Sweet thanks I'm pullin some measurement from my f4 tomorrow but thanks for the info on the MCs. From what I've gathered from google and you is that axial and radial will not affect fitment just braking feel and price tag; I need a MC that fits on a 7/8ths clip-on; it can come from any bike, the banjo bolts and fittings are almost universal and the attachment points on the 600rr calipers wont fit the points on the F4 forks. Is that right so far? Thanks for the reply!
seems you got it right. I wouldn't buy a used brake line, and if you are buying brake lines, you should buy "race configuration", that's 2 independent lines going up to the MC. it's easier to bleed.

as for the rest of the parts, unless you are racing, buy F4/F4I parts since they fit and cheap because there are so many of them.

Old 01-12-2012 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Avi
...buy F4/F4I parts since they fit and cheap because there are so many of them.
Don't know how many times I've recommended this here on the forum. Most recently in our section in this thread in post #57... https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...6/#post1123388

Originally Posted by gotcbr
F4i calipers are direct swap & most plentiful on the used market (& typically less expensive). This is the approach I would take on replacements.

929 & 954 calipers fit but use your F4/F4i caliper bolts for mounting. If you're going to 'upgrade', you may want the master to go w/ it as well.

I recall hearing that '03/04 600RR calipers would work but don't recall if the mounting point on the forks had to be relieved a bit or not for clearance.

Good luck.
F4i parts are plentiful & are more than sufficient for any track day(s). No need to reinvent the wheel unless you have to.

Old 01-12-2012 | 05:03 PM
|
Track junkie & modaholic

Ive read that thread. I'm also clarifying wheather or not I have to stick to the 954 or 929 MC's or I can expand to any MC. The info on calipers was more informational than anything else.

Old 01-13-2012 | 04:00 PM
Avi

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Don't know how many times I've recommended this here on the forum. Most recently in our section in this thread in post #57... https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...6/#post1123388

F4i parts are plentiful & are more than sufficient for any track day(s). No need to reinvent the wheel unless you have to.
never meant to take the credit for inventing the wheel...
inventing the airplane on the other side...

Old 01-13-2012 | 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Avi
never meant to take the credit for inventing the wheel...
inventing the airplane on the other side...
That comment was for CJardine. ;-) Was agreeing w/ you that using F4i parts is the way to go unless he's really wanting to create more work than is necessary.

What's this about airplanes? :-)

Old 01-13-2012 | 10:00 PM
|
Track junkie & modaholic

no Just saw a cheap deal on a MC with calipers and that was cheaper than the 954 MCs