CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Looking at a CBR600f4 mint condition

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2232788814.html

ok so a newer one, with less miles for 500 more bucks.
6 hours away.

buying a bike is soo hard.

After looking at cbr's i really want to get one. I have two ninjas, a 98zx6r with a 636 motor, and a 08 250r.

Like i said, this will be my fourth bike in less than 3 months, I really want to find something and make it MINE.
know what i mean?

1st bike
04 gsxr 600 - wasn't for me, way too much for 1st bike
2nd
08 ninja 250r - great bike, great, but i want more power. Not for me.
3rd
98 ninja zx6r - beast, old race bike. 636 motor in it, just a junky beater beast of a bike. really LOUD. has a bunch of small problems that i don't want to deal with... fairings, brakes, chain, etc. DON"T wanna put ANY money into it. Not for me

4th bike???
CBR600 ???

Im selling my 250 today, and going to look at the 99 f4. and im NOT going to bring any money

Last edited by humboldt racer; 02-26-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by humboldt racer
...going to look at the 99 f4. and im NOT going to bring any money
Why not??? Cash talks!!! Sellers are more likely to take less if there's cold hard cash staring in the face at them.

thanks for your patience and the informative responses.
Glad to help.

The only thing about traveling 6 hours to san fran to buy a bike is I have less lee-way as far as negotiation (less time to see the bike in person and make an informed decision). What if i find the right bike, just to go down there and find out it isn't what they said it would be
This is exactly what I was talking about above describing "convenience cost". Paying a little more for something b/c its convenient isn't a bad thing if its what you want & saves you a lot of time shopping around, driving long distances, etc. If you're good w/ the bike & price for everything, then go for it (assuming it checks out of course).

The ONLY thing I don't like about the f4 im looking at is the banana seat, and the fact that it's carbed.
Don't worry about it being carbed unless you're trying to keep up w/ the Joneses. ;-)
As for the banana seat... That's why I have done a thorough split-seat conversion tutorial in my photo gallery here for you to use. ;-)

And he does have all papers and receipts. DYNO readout as well.
That is excellent! Thorough documented maintenance paperwork is always preferable.

as far as being an "old" bike... how would it stack up to newer 600s?
will i be envious of them besides their digital guages and FI?
The F4 is stilll a very capable bike. Just b/c it isn't FI or have the most modern go-fasters, doesn't mean it can't perform. What is your experience level? If this is for street use, you'll find the F4 to be as spirited as you want. IF this '99 has performance upgrades, all the better. I ride w/ guys that have all types of bikes. Its not just the capability of the bike but also the experience, talent, & capability of the rider on the bike as well.

The guy selling it treats it as a collectors item. It's hard to tell if he's just playing hardball, or if he really holds the bike in such high esteem
Probably a little of both. ;-)

Last edited by gotcbr; 02-26-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM

so.
went and looked at the bike.
it's really clean.
his garage was spotless, and he has tons of extra parts for the bike.
bike actually has 37k miles, i don't know where i got 25k from.

you could tell it's been really taken care of.
he's had the bike for 9 years, since he was 16.

it's one of the nicer bikes i've seen in person, but 3000 is too much i feel.
i would like to offer him 2800, see if he bites, and just go for it.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM

37k vs 25k...makes a difference.

The description of the seller, his garage, & the bike, does make an impression for the good...& would definitely keep me interested. Still the asking price is what it is.

Is he now asking 3k or is this your set-point? Again, cash talks. If you've got cash, it might talk to him. Make your decision on what your max is & make the offer (again, if the bike checks out).

Last edited by gotcbr; 02-26-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: no quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cash definitely talks... from your description it sounds likr the bike has been well taken care of.. but I still think his asking price is high.. did you ask him what his rock bottom price is? $2800 is more in line.. but personally (unless you really have fallen in love with the bike) with that mileage I'd offer even lower... but its tough to do that without insulting him...
If I were to sell my F4 today, I wouldnt take any lower than $2800 in my area.. its nearly mint.. has 21K miles on it.. new tires.. runs perfect. but then... I'd have to toss in another grand or so to get the F4i I'd want next.

The CBRF4 is a great bike and can handle its own with ease against other supersports on the street... you wont miss FI.. but of course it is nice to have... the power is excellent for the street... I have never gone to the track. gas mileage is pretty good too.. I average around 40 I think stop and low with some highway.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM

he was originally asking 3500
i called him asking if he'd take 3000. and he said yes.
honestly the bike isn't quite as nice as I was expecting but it is very clean.

i wanna offer like 27-2800 but im not to sure in my negotiation skills.
how do i get the bike for that price, go back in person with cash, or just holler at him on the phone?
wait some time? let it simmer . . .
bike's been up two weeks.

he keeps saying he doesn't have to or need to sell it. he'd just rather see someone riding it.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 PM

^^^ Agree w/ Turbulenz. All things considered, at least thru the interwebs given what info we have, 2800 would be def be max...preferably lower.

For more perspective... In my area a few mos ago, there was a good condition sunset yellow 1999 F4 w/ 23k & aftermarket can for sale for $2600. It wasn't mint but was very acceptable for bike of that age. It sold after listing for many weeks at $2200.

Anyway, good luck w/ your decision.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:55 PM

he says it's $1800 exhaust. is that pheasible?
he says cam upgrade for more low-mid torque was $1200
do camupgrades make the idle sound different?
that's what he said.

also the bike sounds slightly high pitched to me.
"nyhang nyhang"
is this the yoshimura pipe? tuning?
he says it was tuned at some shop bla bla when it got the cam job.
im a noob, again, i don't know.
it's hard to make a comparison from others on youtube.

i offered 2800.
he says no less than 3000.

i got the cash.
willing to spend it.
just want to be able to justify it.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look.. if you really really like the bike, and you feel that it is the one that you want... then go for it.. You can always sell that rear cowl thing if you dont want it.. you can probably get $100 for it.. dropping the net cost to $2900...

I would recommend keeping the front and rear stands for yourself though...

I paid a bit more for mine when I bought it because many other bikes that I looked out were clapped out pieces of crap... spray painted, scratched, dinged... etc.. mine was clean and only needed a few touches to get it where I wanted it to be...
the weird thing is that I see F4s for anywhere between $2000 and $3500 lately.. that is only asking price.. doesnt mean what they sell for.

If this bike really does it for you, then go for it.. you seem to just need that extra kick in the *** to get it..
>kick

Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 AM

UPDATE.
cancel last bike.

this is the new one im looking at.
4 hours away...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2236952363.html

yay?
3300 is the least he'll take.

Quick Reply: Looking at a CBR600f4 mint condition