CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Looking to buy an F4, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an F4, questions.

Hey All,

First time posting just had a quick question. I am thinking of buying a 2000 F4 for $1,500. Looks like its in pretty decent shape cosmetically, and has been well maintained. It even has a few newer parts (new stator, new starter, chain, sprocket). The only thing that worries me is that it has 42,000 miles on it. Is that a lot for this model?

I have heard a lot about these bikes going forever and I know Honda is known for high mileage, but what do you all think?

How many miles is too high?

Thanks guys.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 PM

first thing start the bike and let it get warm and listen to the motor for ticking and banging f4 is a overhead motor and will have a slight tick but if it loud or concerns you get someone else opinion and then go through the gears feel and listen for the gears going through the gates and feel the clutch

Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ohio nitro
first thing start the bike and let it get warm and listen to the motor for ticking and banging f4 is a overhead motor and will have a slight tick but if it loud or concerns you get someone else opinion and then go through the gears feel and listen for the gears going through the gates and feel the clutch
Alright I will definitely take that advice. I mean the price isnt bad if it runs decent, even if I ride it for a season or two and sell it.

Any other opinions? Guys who have F4's what is your mileage? Anyone up that high around the 40K range?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If properly maintained & taken care of, Honda engines can far exceed 42k. There are members here that have exceeded well beyond 100k or higher in some instances. Of course, those members have been diligent in keeping their bikes serviced.

The question is... How has the bike you're looking at been maintained?

42k can be a lot if it wasn't properly taken care of. Do you know the maintenance history? Is there documented service records of what was done when? What is the overall visual condition of the bike?...that says a lot as well.

I recommend you asking the owner to allow you to have the bike checked out at a factory Honda shop. Tell the shop that you are considering purchasing the bike & would like to have the bike checked over. They do this all the time. They'll check compression & other aspects of the engine, as well as other needs that aren't always apparent from a visual standpoint. They will do a complete rundown on the bike & let you know specifically what the needs are for it. Typically, it will run about $85 or so. This benefits the owner of the bike as well as you. He gets a free inspection & you get peace of mind knowing exactly what you're getting.

Price-wise, $1,500 isn't bad if the bike checks out.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM

i just bought my second cbr f series the first on i had was a f3 with 48k ran like a top but was factory serviced its hole life. my new i bot has 25k the previous owner had all service records and has no problem pulling the front tire in third so it all depends on how the bike has been treated 1500 is not bad. If you not on a budget or have room to play with fixing small problems or customizing it

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome to the forum.

If properly maintained & taken care of, Honda engines can far exceed 42k. There are members here that have exceeded well beyond 100k or higher in some instances. Of course, those members have been diligent in keeping their bikes serviced.

The question is... How has the bike you're looking at been maintained?

42k can be a lot if it wasn't properly taken care of. Do you know the maintenance history? Is there documented service records of what was done when? What is the overall visual condition of the bike?...that says a lot as well.

I recommend you asking the owner to allow you to have the bike checked out at a factory Honda shop. Tell the shop that you are considering purchasing the bike & would like to have the bike checked over. They do this all the time. They'll check compression & other aspects of the engine, as well as other needs that aren't always apparent from a visual standpoint. They will do a complete rundown on the bike & let you know specifically what the needs are for it. Typically, it will run about $85 or so. This benefits the owner of the bike as well as you. He gets a free inspection & you get peace of mind knowing exactly what you're getting.

Price-wise, $1,500 isn't bad if the bike checks out.

Good luck to you.

The guy that I talked to who is selling the bike said he was pretty much meticulous as far as maintenance goes. Like I had mentioned before there are some new parts and he seemed to answer all my questions right. He said he had even spent quite a lot of money to get a full run through from a dealership near his location. If all of what he says is true and the bike checks out when I go to look at it, I just may make the purchase. Like I said I think $1500 is fairly reasonable for the bike.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM

sound good see if he will show you the reciepts of even give them to you for your records if everthing checks out awesome buy it ride it ejoy it

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ohio nitro
sound good see if he will show you the reciepts of even give them to you for your records if everthing checks out awesome buy it ride it ejoy it
Thanks very much! I appreciate all the help. All you guys on the forum are awesome.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM

your welcome when you get post some pics and good luck