CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

A little disapointed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once i get it scanned i will post it up

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM

When I got my cbr I had the shop fino tune it sink the carbs. I got 103 hp. With twobrothers exoust. And if I rejet I can get more. But really the power to wieght ratio is great.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Gearing will not change rwhp measured on a dyno (much). It will change the torque. The difference in HP probably comes from error. It will change the profile of the delivered HP, so the peak will come at a different rpm but will be very close to the same. A dyno is just measuring the amount of work done in a certain amount of time. The correlation between torque is non-linear so changes in torque will not necessarily change HP. I attached an example. It's a hellish gear change but notice what changes.

Attached Thumbnails A little disapointed-gear2c.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MartiniRossy
It will change the profile of the delivered HP, so the peak will come at a different rpm but will be very close to the same.
That is impossible. the same peak cannot come at a different RPM because RPM is what makes the peak to begin with. If you're making 100 horsepower at 9k then you can't move that peak to 8k without making dramatically more torque to make up for it.

Where did it come from? That graph is either flat out wrong or incredibly misleading. If you have a 55% gain in torque then the only way you don't have a 55% gain in HP (which isn't on the graph) is to dramatically change the RPMs. The use of estimated speed instead of RPM makes it irrelevent.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Falqon
I realize I'm a noob here, new to bikes but I think I understand horsepower.

If you're messing with your gear ratio then you absolutely will affect your dyno. I don't see how you couldn't.

Ironically the first reply guy who doesn't make much sense had a point. Your torque number shouldn't change but going down a tooth should change your horsepower.

Horsepower is nothing but a fancy way of multiplying torque and engine speed. You went down a gear, and essentially moved your torque curve to the left. That has to move your horsepower to the left as well which is going to have an adverse affect on your peak number in a high reving 4 cylinder.

Posting both dyno numbers or a graph would help.
Incorrect. Gear changes do not increase HP.

And +1 on the dyno being the biggest factor of this equasion. There's a couple local dynos near me that range in peak HP by 5-10%.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:30 PM

gear ratio's do change torque, so they have to change horsepower.

I was wrong earlier by saying that torque should remain the same when going down a tooth, that was probably wrong on my part.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MartiniRossy
Gearing will not change rwhp measured on a dyno (much). It will change the torque. The difference in HP probably comes from error. It will change the profile of the delivered HP, so the peak will come at a different rpm but will be very close to the same. A dyno is just measuring the amount of work done in a certain amount of time. The correlation between torque is non-linear so changes in torque will not necessarily change HP. I attached an example. It's a hellish gear change but notice what changes.
+1 I went down one in the front so hp and torque were closer. Power comes much faster. But really the better you can make it breath the more hp you will gain. I know a stock bike is only 90 hp. If you have acses to a dino and try diferant things.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also make sure you clean your air filters...