CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Leaking Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Gas

So my F4 is leaking gas out of a little hose near the oil fill plug.. It looks like an over fill hose or somthing, but my tank is only half full. I followed the hose and it seems to go to the fuel filter Ithink.

Whats causing my bike to leak gas, is it just a clogged fuel filter?

thanks for any help

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe your hose is cracked & is leaking. Is it the original? If so, it may need replacing. No need to replace w/ factory Honda...you can get a length of fuel line & cut to proper length.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 PM

I have only had the bike for about two months so idk how old it is... but I do know it only leaks when the bike is running. And its coming out of a hose the goes no where, it just points to the ground next to the oil fill plug

Old 07-20-2011, 03:00 PM

You have fuel lines & an overflow drain line. From your description, it sounds like fuel is draining out the overflow drain line. Was the tank filled/over-filled when this "leak" happened?

If you actually have fuel "leaking", as I said, it could be coming from a cracked line & running down thru the engine.

If you can't determine the "leak" w/ the tank on...then, unbolt & gently/slowly lift it up & take a look under it to see if there's obvious signs of gas leakage.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 PM

ok, thanks for the help. I will do that.. The tank has not been overfilled, it is a little more than halfway full.. I did accidentally get gas in the little ring on inside where you fill gas, it went down that little drain hole but it didnt seem to be as much as whats coming out of the bike.. and as i said its only leaking when the bike is on.. I will lift the tank tho and see if anything is wrong under there

Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Be very careful lifting your tank. Try not to stretch the fuel lines. They can crack on you & then you'll really have leaking. IF this happens, just turn off your petcock til you can replace w/ new fuel line. In fact, this might be a great opportunity to do just that. IF your fuel line is original, we're talking 11+ yr old line.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's from the lines? I've been leaking out of the gasket recently; it was a small amount, then I took the tank off, 'fixed it' and this morning I came out to it dripping pretty heavily.

When I looked at mine, it seemed to be dripping from the screws / rubber nipples that come through the base plate.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Ok so no cracked lines from what i can see.. And when i say it is leaking, i mean when the bike is on and idleing gas is pissing out of this little hose just behind the oil fill plug, when its off theres nothing.

I followed the little hose to this black cylindrical shaped thing that has two other gas lines on the other end and green and blue wires sticking out of it.. Im thinking this part is my problem but i have no idea what it is

Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Pictures say a thousand words. Yep, you've got a problem if gas is flowing freely out of that hose. That hose comes out of the fuel pump. Go ahead & check your fuel filter...it may be clogged.

Quick Reply: Leaking Gas