CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Jumpy tack and speedo

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumpy tack and speedo

Well the f4 continues to give. Ok the needles on my cluster it starting to jump from time to time. When I say jump I mean that ill be going down the road at a steady speed and rpm then the needles go nuts like a kid at a rave nuts. That being said it has started to stumble a little when sitting at a light after rideing for a while. But the needles only jump when everything is on I.e. hid on high, fan on, all of my LEDs. And the bike running (of course). This being said I'm leaning towards the r/r and if I replace that I will go on and do the stator to so it's out of the way. Battery was bought last year so it should still be good but ill test it and the rest before moveing on to parts. What do y'all think? And what r/r and stator have you all went with? I'm lookin at these units or should I stay stock?
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1999-2000-Honda-CBR600F4-CBR-600F4-Regulator-Rectifier

http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/honda/cbr600f4-99-00.html?pt=regulators+%2F+rectifiers

Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 PM

I would check the meter plug wires and connecting pins on the meter for damage...

Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 PM

I'm with the guy above me. I would check the connections to the gauges first. Might save some time and money.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Did you find out what the problem was? I had a similar problem but mine ended up being the wiring harness from the stator that goes up to the instrument cluster. It started with the needles jumping to now nothing working except the indicator lights and headlights. I traced all wires back and it was the harness that is attached to my stator.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 PM

Stator problems/symptoms for jumpy needle gauges... Mostly the tachometer, what hapens is the engine starts misfiring due to lack of output power to the cdi, sometimes you don't notice it, it's subtile. The engine runs as if it was lean and when hot will behave as if it was out of gasoline (hesitates).
Sometimes you'll be tempted to sync carbs but the only thing you'll do is sync cilinders speed, you'll be unable to sync the airflow(the cilinders behave as if runnig agaisnt each other can't get a steady reading)
When cold it will start like a fuel injected bike ( partially no load on the stator, just battery power). When hot and if you turn on all the lights including stop, with fan on the engine will stop or almost will(may decrease rpms or simply start misfiring as if one off the coils/spark plugs is diyng).
My own opinion: If you suspect you have a problem with your stator or regulator, and still everything checks ok on the multimeter buy a new regulator if not OEM don't go for the compatible model. You can safely install a cbr 600 f4i to cbr 600 rr 2007 regulator( the usual output is around 13v to 14v regardeless of engine speed. After that, check if the new regulator is charging at the above values when cold and when hot, if not go for a new stator I'm tempted to say the cbr 600 f4i one but haven't tried it, don't know if it fits.
That's all I can remember for now. As usual forgive if I wrote something wrong I'm not english/american and today my pc isn't helping. Take care and ride safely.