CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Jet kit anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet kit anyone?

I'm not sure if I have stock jetting or not, but I do have the K&N and two brothers slip on and my bike runs fine.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

ORIGINAL: brveagle

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: jessej05

i bought my bike a month and a half ago now and the guy i bought it form said it was jetted. i have a k&n and a two bros slip on. now i have not torn it apart to make sure it was jetted. but i did have two stickers on the side(laughing out loud). ne ways i ran my tank one time just to see what i got and my trip meter said 163 and the light came on. this is with a lot of high rpms to cuz i was practicing wheelies and riding fast. i think thats normal right?
160 - 170 miles is bout normal for my F4. And mine has a full D&D exhaust and a K&N on it. I dont know if it has a jet kit or not, But I suspect a stage 1 has been installed. But carbs can be tuned, and not necessarily need rejetted.
Care to explain how the f4 carbs can be tuned? The jets are what control the amount of fuel the engine sees. The only thing you can "tune" on the carb is to adjust the idle mixture. Thats it
You tune the vacuum levels to make them even thoughout the carbs.
I'm well aware of this, but that is only to synch them and you do that mechanically. That doesn't affect WOT performance, nor should it be used to take the place of the correct jet.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 AM

Fun stuff.......heres what ive been told...yes you can run with a slip on and filter on stock jetting. Have also been told if you are running a high flow baffle slip on and aftermarket high flow filter that a stage 1 kit will help smooth out the powerband, and not necessarily give you more power. That being said I'm running a slip on and k&n with stock jetting and it runs ok, however, i do have a stage one kit i just got and have yet to install. As for "tuning" or "syncing", thats pretty much mandatory when you jet a bike anyway. And if you ask me...its not the jets that will kill your mileage, its the sprocket changes sure plays havoc on my mileage but its a fair trade.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 PM

From what I've read, F4's run leanish in the middle rpm range for emmisions reasons, and for MPG reasons. They run a bit rich up top to help will cooling and to make sure that the bike can handle altitude changes. By adding a jet kit, your usually going to wind up putting more fuel into the carbs. If your bike is a bit weak in the middle and feels like its starving for fuel, the jetkit will help. Though the bikes had a small hole around 4-5k rpms even from the factory. When you put a full exhaust, or a slipon/k&n, you are increasing the amount of air that goes through the engine and this creates a leaner mixture all around. The bike will run better up top because of the leaner mixture compared to the factory slightly rich mixture. The bike MAY run a bit worse in the middle ranges because its making a lean mixture even more so. Not all bikes will need a jetkit, the best way is to just ride it and see if it feels like its strugling for fuel. I know two brothers recomends the stock jetting with the stock filter for the best overall power. I currently have a K&N on my bike, but I just ordered an OEM honda one to see if it makes my midrange better. By rejetting and putting a full exhaust on, your peak numbers might increase, but you will most likely loose some in the mid range. Sorry for the long post. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 PM

I put a yosh and K&N on my bike 3000 miles after i bought it. The bike had a very noticeablelack ofpower around the midrange 5-7k rpm. The yosh and k&n made a noticeable difference in that blank spot. I put on a stage 1 around 10k miles of having the k&n and yosh on. The powerband was noticeably smoother, and bythe seat of mypants it feels faster.
the jets decreased my mileage from 160 miles to the light, to 145 or so to the light now.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: DonEverett

From what I've read, F4's run leanish in the middle rpm range for emmisions reasons, and for MPG reasons. They run a bit rich up top to help will cooling and to make sure that the bike can handle altitude changes. By adding a jet kit, your usually going to wind up putting more fuel into the carbs. If your bike is a bit weak in the middle and feels like its starving for fuel, the jetkit will help. Though the bikes had a small hole around 4-5k rpms even from the factory. When you put a full exhaust, or a slipon/k&n, you are increasing the amount of air that goes through the engine and this creates a leaner mixture all around. The bike will run better up top because of the leaner mixture compared to the factory slightly rich mixture. The bike MAY run a bit worse in the middle ranges because its making a lean mixture even more so. Not all bikes will need a jetkit, the best way is to just ride it and see if it feels like its strugling for fuel. I know two brothers recomends the stock jetting with the stock filter for the best overall power. I currently have a K&N on my bike, but I just ordered an OEM honda one to see if it makes my midrange better. By rejetting and putting a full exhaust on, your peak numbers might increase, but you will most likely loose some in the mid range. Sorry for the long post. Let me know if you have any questions.
My bike has always ran good, but the mid range is a bit soft. I knew it had a K&N and a Two Bro's slip on, but I ran in to the old ower of my bike yesterday and found out is has a Two Bro's header on it as well and is still stock jeted. The dealer I deal with said he would do the jet kit, carb clean, snyc and tune for 3 hours labor. The normal labor is 4.5 hours. The jet kit they can get is like $115ish. ShouldI do the jet kit, or just ride it as is? I don't race the bike and it's still fast the way it is right now.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM

ok i really have no comparison accept racing. my bike has a two bros slip on and a k&n. i was told it was jetted but how would i know with out tearing it apart. but as far as the race i did a 2nd gear drop with my buddies 04 r6 (he has custom exhaust, airfilter, and 520 sprocket) we did it in 2nd at 50-65 mph and he pulled a lil at first but then when i shifted i started to pass, and continued to pull. its very peppy and seems to have just as much mid range as low and high. the guy i bought it from said it has a stage 1 dyno jet kit. i doubt this helps at all haha but o well.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM

I didn't know Two Brothers made a full kit for the F4's? Either way, if you notice a loss of power in the mid range you may want to jet it. Depending on which kit you go with, you won't be able to go back to stock if you would choose to do so, so be aware of that. I don't see any reasons why a jet kit would hurt, other then MPG's.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: DonEverett

I didn't know Two Brothers made a full kit for the F4's? Either way, if you notice a loss of power in the mid range you may want to jet it. Depending on which kit you go with, you won't be able to go back to stock if you would choose to do so, so be aware of that. I don't see any reasons why a jet kit would hurt, other then MPG's.
I have never heard of the Two Bro's header, but the guy that had my bike before me says it is. To me the header looks stock, but I'm not sure what the stock F4 header looks like?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM

u cant go back to stock jets y? my headers look dirty! lol