CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Interesting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interesting problem

So the only way i can explain my problem is that tonight after work which was 9 hours i come out and start it, after having a hard time starting as usual lol, i get it idleing but it sounds basically like a dirt bike.

After saying maybe its because its cold, i let it run for id say about an hour.
Nothing changed now im trying to figure out whats going on.
My first thought is.
Bad gas????
So i plan on letting it run out, or draining it. If i let it run out will it cause any damage?
Let me know what u guys think.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 AM

I'd be careful about running the engine completely out of gas. You can always try to put some seafoam in the gas but I'd definitely dump out the old gas first before you do that. Ratio should be 1 ounce per gallon (about 4 oz). Can help clean out carbs of old gas. Have you tried checking the air filter box to make sure everything is connected properly and if any of the hoses are cracked? (easiest way to check for cracked hoses, use carb cleaner and spray to see engine RPMS jump).

Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 AM

yeah iv done the carb cleaner through the vents, rpms drop so i dont think its that.

Ill pump it out and put 4oz of seafoam in it along with a full tank of gas then c what happens. Its just odd that it happend out of no where lol.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Letting the gas drain out is fine and the bike will be fine. In fact that's part of the storage process, for the factory method. If your gonna drain the gas than get fresh gas and a can of techron, I've always used seafoam but I hear techron works better to clean up (that goes for the stuff in the bottle not on the pump).

Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

What makes you think its actually the fuel. With the bike being hard to start it could be a number of things. I suppose fuel is on the list but unless the fuel is old (real old) then I would probably start elsewhere. Is she actually firing on all cylinders when she does run ?.....sure with help she wont sound like a dirt bike soon !!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 AM

well, syphoned all the gas out and bought new gas. Put it in and try firing it while it was about high 36 today its been sitting for about 24hours now.

While trying to start it, it would almost turn over and idle but would back fire.
After many attempts the battery is dead, so im charging it lol.
Probly need to change the plugs now.... Hoping i can get it started tomorrow because its suppose to be like 50 out. My bike hates the cold weather bad.

What would be the next step after
plugs
and air filter, cuz i need a new one im sure havnt looked at it and the bikes got 20,000 miles on it lol.

Also, i had my car their and after my battery was dead of course stupid me tryed basically jumping the bike and thats what caused the back fire. I dont know much about bikes or carbs but i think it was back firing because its flooded i believe.

And yes it was running on all 4 before this all happened.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Pull your plugs and look up how to read them or post up pics. I have a link to an awesome troubleshooting guide but its on my comp at home so my wife is emailing it to me.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds heavily like bad plugs to me... My bike was kinda hard to start and was running rough, after two months of standing in the garage didn't even fire, after a set of fresh plugs and air filter started from the first touch of the button. If it's the plugs, some lost HP:s might find their way into the motor too, did on mine.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Back to the basics for me on this one. I would start with a fully charged battery and monitor its readings as you start the "trying to start" her. When you previously tried to start her did she turn over fast. Bad batteries hate the cold weather. As Mattson says, new set of plugs might help but if theres not enough juice in the battery she`ll run like a dog anyways. Thats where I`d start mate...best of luck and keep posting if no luck. You`ll get there in the end

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM

thanks guys, ill keep you updated!

Quick Reply: Interesting problem