CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Im new and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im new and need some advice

ive got a bit of a problem,,, (you can skip this paragraph if you dont want the history) almost two months back i bought a 1999 cbr f4. the bike had been crashed and written off. The po intending to repair it had bought everything he thought he needed to fix it including a new frame because in alberta you cant reregister salvaged VIN numbers. over the next week or so i stripped it down and put the engine into the good frame. then school started and my progress slowed down alot.

im almost to the point were i turn the key and hope the wirings all hooked up right. but the gas tank wouldnt fit. looking at other pictures i can see that the front tab has been bent from the crash (sandwiched bettween cars)

should i try to bend it back or jump directly to ebay?

not sure if the pictures will work but i'll give it a try

[IMG]local://upfiles/29807/B227AC2A8EAE4483968D3BF15EAF71AC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29807/3EF1945597344221AA4C222FFFC19D64.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29807/4EC9FB9322AA415DB88DF1E606FC69D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29807/6240AC535BE0410B89282B21F7CBCFD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Im new and need some advice

Well you could get an old tank form ebay under 100.... I am no expert but it looks like it would be a lot of work and the right tools to get it undone.... Maybe someone with some body work experience can help you further.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 PM

thanks, it looks like its just the front mount thats bent so when i get some time im going to grab it with a big set of channel locks and see what happens. its worth nothing to me the way it is so i might as well try before moving on to ebay

Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 AM

my take: fill the tank with water and drain it so you know there's no fuel vapors in there, just a safety precaution. Get your hands on a oxy/acet. torch and heat the bends so you can work them back, should work...if you can't get your hands on a torch then i suggest you get on craigslist or ebay and cross your fingers.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 PM

well im 17 and while i dont have any experiance i do have access to a oxy acetylene torch,,, now that your nervous i'll tell you that it also comes with my dad who has used the water in tank method before.

its really tempting to just bend it and see what happens but i have all winter to get this running so i'll just wait for a good time to do it right

thanks for the help

Old 10-08-2008, 01:54 AM

oxy/acet torches are easy if you get your mixtures right and that's something you can get down pat after adjusting the oxy and acet mixture after a while. practice with it and it'll be one of the best tools in your garage. especially for pesky bolts that are too hard to get out or anything needing a good cutting. If you're really slick it's possible to bend pipe with a rosebud tip, a vice, and some sand.

For your tank simply heat the metal at the bent areas and bend it, best way to not get creases and you'll end up with really easy bending, no marring from vice grip teeth, and the worst it would do is burn up the paint. just don't be a fool with it and you'll stay outta the icu. And I mean like put the torch to your face. Basic tool common sense, just like you wouldn't put a sawzall to your wrist.

Quick Reply: Im new and need some advice