CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

I NEED HELP GUYS, I shoulda left it alone

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP GUYS, I shoulda left it alone

Just to start I am pretty good mechanic, but I have no idea whats wrong. Well last night I was really boredand started taking the bike apart, took the gast tank off, then the airbox, etc. I wanted to check if it had a K&N air filter, and then to clean it. Cleaned it out, messed with it and I didnt change anything and or what not, I just checked out the carbs, and what not. I did move the black sliders on the carb a couple times, but I dont think that would do anything. It ran fine for about 10 miles, but misfired a little bit uptop. Gimme a hand in anything you guys can, because my bike ran pretty damn good before, thanks in advance and help me out as much as possible. It now won't even start and back fires a little while attempting to start.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Default RE: I NEED HELP GUYS, I shoulda left it alone

cmon guys

Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 PM

ok now it will not start but is backfiring and shooting a little flame!, I have no idea what I could have,done, someone point me in the right direction. I'm thinking it could have been a quinsidance, but probably not. does it matter wich way the gas tank valve turns on,,

It has ON
OFF
ON

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 PM

Did you make sure to replace all the vacuum hoses after taking off the airbox?? Did you make any modifications to the carbs? What kind of condition was the air filter in when you took it off vs. when you put it back on?? And I'm not sure, but I don't think theres a difference which way the petcock on the tank is.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 AM

I feel your pain. I hope some of the more mechanical guys on the site chime in. I hate when people ignore my posts especially when you in dire need of help. Come on guys, help the guy out. Personally I am mechanically inept. I am really good at one thing...writing checks. There always is the dealer....

Old 08-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It doesn't matter what selection your gas tank "petcock" is on, but for your own reference, when it's switched upwards that is "Reserve" and downwards is "On".

When you're riding, switch it down to "on" and when you run out of gas you can switch to reserve to limp it to a gas station. The "off" selection is for when you park the bike, you dont need to switch it off, but I do anyways, just helps to prevent flooding the carbs.

Anyways, did you reconnect the 2 hoses to the bottom of the gas tank?

Did you drop anything into one of the velocity stacks on the carb?

Check for spark on all 4 cylinders, shooting flames means that un-burned gas is escaping through the exhaust and igniting. (you're a good mechanic, you know how to do that, right?)

Dont know what else to tell you, I'd have to be there to check it out... Pretty hard to diagnose over the net!

Good luck

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, also, you maybe flooded it, try starting it up with the throttle wide open and keep it running for as long as you can with the throttle, that may fix your problem.

You might have to try it both with the choke on, and off.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM

allenpa5 made a good suggestion, and that is....there are 4 vacuum hoses that are attached to the airbox. These for vacuum hoses are used to adjust/sync the carbs to make sure that they are all the same. If you pulled off these vacuum hoses and didn't plug them up again either by pushing them back on the bottom of the airbox, or by putting a plug into them, you'll have a big problem. Check that out.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM

I found this to be a problem with my 900RR after I cleaned my K&N. I didnt let it dry long enough before putting it back in. Rode it for a few days (although yours doesnt start) and it cleared up.

Check the vacum hoses off the tank/petcock and at the carbs, if you forgot one it will not run for ****.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Ok I think i figured out my problem then, I have three hoses coming off of the tank, first is the one going to the silcock wich runs the gas, then i have two other hoses that are connected to nothing, I understand one is probably for a drain, but what is the other one for? I believe this is my problem, where does it connect? hopefully this is it Thanks for all the input this forum so far kicks ***

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP GUYS, I shoulda left it alone