CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How well (smoothly) does your F4 idle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stampern
I had the upgraded honda finned one - didn't hold my voltage high enough. I had to go to the new mosfet r/r to get my voltages higher. Helped out tons. My bike used to barely idle if not die when the fan would kick on. Now it just has a slight miss every now and then. Very happy with it. Going to upgrade the wiring to see if I can get a bit more juice out of it. I'm holding 12.9v at idle with the cooling fan on.
The R/R is just one component of a system. No reason that new replacement should not have done its job & done it well unless...a) its a lemon, b) another component in the system isn't 100% or damaged, or c) your wiring/connectors are worn/damaged. Your use of a non-factory R/R isn't a guarantee that all your problems are solved. However, if you're running well w/ it, then no worries...for now.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you. I checked the other components and all appear to be running within their limits. After doing a bunch of reading, the older r/r just aren't very power efficient (not just with our cbr's, but other bikes as well). Decided to upgrade cause the new chipset loses less power to heat than the older r/r's do, so I figured the least amount of power I can "waste" in my charging system the better. So far so good, but I'm not going to stop there.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Any developments?

I almost asked at first about your vacuum hoses. Would be interested to know how it runs w/ the stock setup connected.
Except the missing DAI hose on the one side, the vacuum lines were checked, most trimmed shorter to assure 'fresh' rubber, and all boots & hoses checked by the mechanic/shop.

I rode to work today, and something's amok elsewhere. First of all, my tank bag was stolen last night, but that's not the point of this story.
When I rode the bike home from the shop Friday evening, I had forgot my earplugs, so all I could hear was wind. Today (first ride since), I hear very noticeable gear whine. That has nothing to do with any of the service work unless a quantity of carb cleaner or fuel got dumped into the cylinder(s). Oil level remains fine, and it doesn't look milky. I also ran out of gas on the freeway today at ~117F, and had to push it a ways to get to fuel. Thankfully, a good Samaritan named Lorin bailed me out by giving me his only $7 in cash (no wallet on account of stolen tank bag, etc.).

As a result of all these things, I parked the bike elsewhere and it'll stay there until I can change the oil & filter (again; just did it a couple hundred miles ago), and try to figure out what's up overall.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 PM

Sorry to hear about your stolen tank bag. That really stinks. I had a bike stolen once & never got it back. I know that feeling.

Did you run out of fuel due to malfunctioning fuel light or just an oversight? Either way, sorry that happened to you as well.

I'm afraid there isn't going to be quick or simple reply to the problem(s). There's obviously some issues. However, that doesn't mean they aren't fixable.

Hang in there...all around.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
MZ5

No idea why I ran out of gas. Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen the low fuel light; thought it didn't work, as I've put 4.5+ gallons in before without having seen the light. I drive by the odometer. I can make 3 round trips (work and back) in just under 210 miles, and it's time to refuel. Trip meter is reset and mpg calculated each fill-up. Trip meter said ~102 miles when she died. All I can think is that the mechanic work somehow reset the "A" trip meter. Disconnected wires womewhere? No idea.

Hopefully I'll figure out what's causing the idle misfire some time, and hopefully it won't prevent me licensing the bike if I don't.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MZ5
No idea why I ran out of gas. Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen the low fuel light; thought it didn't work, as I've put 4.5+ gallons in before without having seen the light. I drive by the odometer. I can make 3 round trips (work and back) in just under 210 miles, and it's time to refuel. Trip meter is reset and mpg calculated each fill-up. Trip meter said ~102 miles when she died. All I can think is that the mechanic work somehow reset the "A" trip meter. Disconnected wires womewhere? No idea.
Odd that your low fuel light isn't coming on prior to that 210 mark...very odd. At 210, you're pushing the envelope. I make it a point to get to the gas station around 170 miles as a matter of regular routine. That way, if I'm in unfamiliar territory, I have some miles in reserve til I can find fuel w/o running out.

Yep, when you disconnect the battery or if battery dies, the trip will zero out.

Originally Posted by MZ5
Hopefully I'll figure out what's causing the idle misfire some time, and hopefully it won't prevent me licensing the bike if I don't.
I doubt it will cause any emissions problems. But yes, hope you get it figured out.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
MZ5

Well, that probably explains what went wrong with me running out of fuel (the battery disconnection). I was _sure_ I'd disconnected the batt before and not lost the trip meter, but now that I think about it, that's probably not true. I've only disconnected the batt once that I can recall; normally my simply/routine maintenance work doesn't need me to disconnect it.

What kinda mpg do you see with your F4, gotcbr? I get right at 50mpg now, purely commuting (nealy all freeway). I used to get 54mpg when my commute was 40 - 60, but I surely can't complain about 50mpg at 65-80 mph on a 100hp sport bike!

Last edited by MZ5; 06-28-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM

As of my last gas receipt... (did all these miles in one day on a fun ride...some spirited twisties, some hwy, some city)

I had a 155 odo reading & took on 3.25 gal.
Tank capacity = 4.76 gal
That's a dif of 1.51 gal
MPG to the 155 mi mark = 47.69

For normal everyday hwy commuting, my experience is like yours - higher MPG than the above. However, the above shows how good the F4 is on MPG given a combo of dif types of riding on a single tank.

An even better indicator is to calculate your MPG over 3 fill-ups.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
MZ5

Cool! I'm a little particular about mpg calcs. I do them every fill-up on every vehicle I own.

Maybe I'll do a test some day: Tucked mpg vs. 'regular' commute posture.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM

^ Used to be that way. ;-)

I should mention that elevation & temperature conditions will also effect on MPG.

My above mentioned ride went from an elevation of approx 300 ft above sea level to over 5,000 ft. :-) And, temps from low 60s to over 100. :O

Quick Reply: How well (smoothly) does your F4 idle?